Power sockets

sparky64

I realise this is probably not the place to ask for help about power socket circuits design, but it's the best site for information i know, so here goes.

I've been asked to design a 110V power socket system for the production area.

I'll be installing a 10KVA three phase to 110 v transformer, feeding a 16 way 200 amp board, which in turn i'll be supplying 12 16amp 110v sockets.

I'll be protecting the primary side and the secondary side of the transformer with breakers, and then individually protecting each socket with a 16amp breaker.

When working out the max volt drop of 2.5mm swa cable, based on the design current of 16 amps, the max length of cable is approx 15 meters, is this correct or am i missing something?

any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

sparky

when calculating voltage drop use Ib(the design current of the circuit). you are using the Max current, the rating of the device, do you know what type of loads are going to be connected to these sockets? and what the rating of each load is?

cheers

myles

Are you having the 110v for safety?
Make sure your transformer is a 55v/0/55v winding with center tapped earth.
You may want to therefore put double pole breakers on each output too.

As for the voltage drop, you just need you mv/A/m value from your regs book. Then calculat the voltage drop by filling in the blanks. You then need to calculate the PSC, but at only 15m I think you will be ok anyway.

Thanks for the replies

I don't know what type of loads are going to be connected so i have been using the max current as the design current.

i'll have a look at the electrician talk site.

cheers

sparky

You cannot apply diversity to the individual sockets, but you can to the distribution board.

I would not bother with a dis. board. I would just get a 300x300x200 sarel enclosure, fit a DIN rail or two and use double pole mcbs, and fit a rotary isolator to the front. Is the transformer ordered? The supplier may even be able to send you with all this fitted to an enclosure?

Did you get any help over on the other forum? My sites IT policy blocks all internet forums. (Exceot this one that I had to jump through hoops to get it allowed!)

HI Timbo

i had a look at the other site, but did not post my question yet, i'm busy still trying to figure it out by doing some more research, i'll join over the weekend.

cheers
sparky