Powerflex 700 in RSLogix5k

bullman1083

Hi, I recently installed a powerflex 700 drive in rslogix5k i/o tree. I am communicating thru a 20commE. I have no communication issues or faults, but i am not able to use the tags that were generated to control the drive through the program. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Welcome to the PLCTalk forum community !

Do you have a HIM module on the drive to see its status ?

The two most common things I overlook when commissioning a PowerFlex are the Digital Input configuration and the Reference Source.

If a Digital Input is configured for STOP or STOP-CF (the default) but then is left disconnected, the digital input will assert a STOP command that overrides all START commands.

The 20-COMM-E is considered DPI Port 5, so that's what you will want to set up as the drive's speed reference.

The HIM did say"stopped" and I believe digital In2 was defaulted as stop. Thanks I'll try fixing that first thing in the morning and let you know how it goes. Thanks Ken.

I changes the speed reference to DPI PORT 5...is there a certain way the digital inputs should be set up to correlate with the RSLogix5k program?

On most of my PowerFlex 7-series applications I am doing all of the control over the network, so I just set all of the Digital Inputs to "unused".

If you have an Enable input or a Safe-Off option card, you have to set those up properly.

But the general-purpose inputs for start/stop/jog functions, I set for Disabled.

Just for good measure, I also jumper them all to DC Common so there's no chance they will turn on if somebody reconfigures them.

That's what I ended up doing. Worked out great. First time I installed a drive start to finish on my own. A lot of little details I'll remember for next time. Thanks for the help!!