PowerLogic PM5560 Ethernet/IP Connection Issue

jeffh1973

Hi PLC Gurus
A customer has requested the connection of a Schneider PowerLogic PM5560 Power Meter to a Rockwell Control Logix PLC.

The firmware version of the device on site is FW 04.01.08
I have downloaded and installed the correct EDS for this firmware.

The power meter comm port has been setup with the following setting:
IP Method – Stored
IP Address – 172.17.189.11
Subnet – 255.255.255.0
GW – 0.0.0.0
HTTP Server – Enabled
FTP Server – Disabled
DPWS – Enabled
Ethernet/IP – Enabled
DNP3 – Disabled

I am connecting to it using an 1756-EN2T Ethernet PLC Card with:
IP Address – 172.17.189.70
Subnet – 255.255.255.0
GW – 0.0.0.0

I am unable to get a healthy connection using “Cyclical Exchanges (Implicit Exchanges) “ with either the supplied EDS or setting up a Generic Ethernet Module connection with the correct assemble input, output and config.
I am getting a (Code 16#0315)connection request error :Invalid Segment Type

The strange thing is I am able to use “Messaging (Explicit Exchanges)” and receive specific registers of information from the Power meter on Ethernet/IP but I have to set up an individual message block in the PLC for each register of information which is not ideal.

The customer then sent me a spare Power Meter of the same model to test in the office. The only difference is the Firmware is FW 02.08.03
I downloaded and installed the older EDS file for this firmware.

I was easily able to setup Ethernet /IP communications using “Cyclical Exchanges (Implicit Exchanges)” using both the EDS and the Generic Ethernet Module connection.

I did file compare of the 2 different versions of the EDS file and they are exactly identical which is weird.

If anyone could shed some light on this it would be appreciated.

Last edited:
Issue Resolved
In hope I raised a case with Schneider and their response is what I have already done....
"[FONT=&quot]Our expert team have confirmed that there is a known issue over ethernet IP protocol when configuring implicit messaging with this eds file in V4.1.8. Until a new Firmware update is out to please use explicit messaging as a workaround."[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][/FONT]It would have been nice if he told me that there was a newer firmware released on the website and the issue had been resolved.

Very frustrating and many hours wasted.

I guess the next course of action is to upgrade the firmware and all will be good.
I'll re-post if its not.

Cheers

[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

List of Attributes and how to interpret - for PM5560

Hello Jeffh!

I'm passing trought the same problem. I questioned my customer to pass me the version of Schneider PM5560 to acomplish the point that you mentioned.

In that case to workaround a "solution" I'm using the explicit message. But I cannot find a list of parameters that I need (Like kWH consumed in load). Do you know where can I find? Or do you have one list with that?

Just to clarify I configured like a manual from Schneider forum:
- serivce code: e
- instance:1
- class: 4f
- Attribute: 7
- destination element: PM556x_Byte ( SINT[10])

Its appers that there is comunication, altoght the module is in "Failure" and with a (Code 16#0315)connection request error :Invalid Segment Type.

I'd like to undestand the code, instances, attributes, etc for new information that I need.

Thank you so much!
I aprreciate your help!

Hi Sammis. The complete list of Explicit Exchanges appears to be in the "PM5500_User_Guide.pdf" under the heading "Messaging (Explicit Exchanges)" which is available from the Schneider site. If you wish to use Implicit messaging there is now an updated firmware for this meter "PM5560_PM5563_PM5580_V4.2.1_UTv3.10_Release" which is also available on the Schneider site. They have fixed the bug in V4.1.8 which would not allow Implicit Exchanges and would show the error code you mentioned in your post. You are correct that it is communicating using explicit messaging even though the module shows a failure with this error code. Hope this helps.

Hi Jeffh. Thanks for your help. The eight PM5560 that I needed to communicate is exactly this one V4.1.8 with the manual I taked the data that I wanted using explicit message. The bothering thing is that in Hardware section in PLC continue appearing the failure mentioned (until the PMs be firmware updated), but its communicating 🍻. I put bellow to help some one else that needs it in Rockwell MSG Block:

In manual like Jeff said, search for "Electrical energy object (4F hex)" an list will appears and with the Instace Attribute - Attribute ID search for Attribute name needed. Just pay attention with ODOMETER datatype, in some pages before you could see the manner to use them.

Thanks again! Best Regards!

The list of attributes at Schneider is numbered in decimal, Rockwell needs it in hex, so Power Factor is Schneider 39dec... Rockwell 27hex
Hopefully I just saved you a few minutes of WTF!

I passed for this same issue with a PM5560 in frimware ver 4.1.8

Schneider released a new firmware version (4.2.1) , that fix implicit message issues (this informantion is on Public firmware Revision History).
I find the new firmware at this link: PowerLogic PM5560 PM5563 PM5580 V4.2.1 UTv3.10 Firmware Release | Schneider Electric
that comes with new firmware, firmware upgrader and documentation.

I updated the firmware of PM5560 to this version and updated the EDS file on my library and now I can get information form PM5560 without MSG instruction.

So I come here to make this post to inform anyone that can pass for this problem, the firmware upgrade is our resolution to get data over ethernet/IP form this power meter without a need of Message Instruction on Rockwell PLC's

Thanks all of you that posted previously the information of new firmware release ! wish you the best !