Pressure Transducer/Tank level information needed

parky said:
You americans, still on feet, inches & gals.
We british oldies tried our best to not use metric but it makes sense now.
wouldn't do it any other way

FWIW, I mainly use metric and most of our processes use metric, so you won't get any argument from me. I wish we would get our butts in gear and convert because I think in the long run it hurts us. We have even coined a phrase. "Pulling a NASA" referes to screwing up on your unit conversions, reminiscent of NASA's bungle with a Mars probe that became a meteorite.

But the OP said "gallons" so I used gallons. And if the liquid was beer, 🍺 wouldn't imperial units be the prefernce of you Brits?

So after work, lift a pint and remember the good times, and I'll do the same.

Point taken, yes even I find it difficult to get rid of the pints, it's probably due to tradition of the english pub & well... I reckon a pint glass was designed as the correct weight, size etc. so it feels good in the hand, can't get on with these halves & litre mugs, we don't even like the over sized pints you know the one where the top 10mm (sorry half inch) is for the head so you don't get diddled out of a full pint.

I know this is a bit of and old topic, but we have finally decided to try the pressure transducer for reading water level. I understand everything that has been said so far, well pretty much. But I am still lost on how to turn the psi reading into gallons. using the above information of tank size....if I have .95 PSi how many gallons is that and how do I calculate it?
Thanks,
Micheal

Calculate the height of the water above the transmitter, 27.7" water = 1 psig. Then calculate the volume of the cylinder and the cone. The formulas are: cone V = 1/3 x pi x r² x h
cylinder V = pi x r² x h

Once again the AWSOME minds on PLCS.net come through. It took me some time to get my head wrapped around it and then I had a dimention issue. Once I figured out the correct dimensions and equestions for the bottom of the tank....presto!!!!!!!!!! Thank you to everyone.

Micheal

Good luck--don't forget about compensating for the vapor pressure in the vessel (empty space above your liquid).

Is the top of the tank vented to atmosphere or is it pressurized. If it is pressurized then you will need a Differential pressure (DP) transmitter. This means you will be measuring the differential pressure between the top and bottom of the tank. Look for Honeywell, Foxboro, Rosemount, etc.

Sorry to be a wee bit lateral from the OPs question... but what are the advantages of moving away from the ultrasonic?

They do remove some of the terms from the equation such as pressure, temperature and specific gravity, and eliminates flow concerns, etc. (right?).

Plus it doesn't require contact with the fluid or servicing while empty unless valves are added (more cost).

Engineering is compromise so I'm curious about the rationale used here in the decision to assist me in the future.

Thanks in Advance...
RWW