Problem using counters and memories with a basic PLC

juanmdx

Hello,

I'm working on a project where I have two encoders (which I'm reading through counters).

What happens at the line is that an inspector is checking for marks on a metal sheet that is unwinding.
When the inspector sees a mark, he presses the button for as long as the mark is.
What I need to do is to actuate a pneumatic cilinder a few meters ahead, and the cilinder should stay expanded (it has a marker at the end) for as long as the button was pressed.
A couple of meters ahead, the PLC should trigger an output letting the system know that the mark has reached the end of the line.

The "meters ahead" issue I solved with the 2 encoders I'm using.
I can "read" how many time the button was pressed using another counter, that counts when the encoder sends a signal and when the button is pressed.

The main issue I have is that I can have more marks (as many as 20 or 30) before the first mark reaches the end of the line, so I have to use a memory to keep track of the time (or counts) each mark was pressed and when it was pressed.

I'm using a compac PLC from Schneider (a Twido) and I can only use some PLC features and I can't figure out how to keep a record of the marks, can anyone help me here, the PLC I'm using is very basic and doesn't have a lot of functions.

Thanks and regards.

Juan

I am not familiar with the TWIDO, but this sounds like an application for a FIFO. If it isn't included in the Instruction Set for this PLC, you could build your own. Do a search here on FIFOs, and you will find lots of information on them. The trick will be shifting the Data out at the correct point.

Stu.....

Ok,
I looked around and tryed to figure out how to use a FIFO register on this problem.
So I think I got it, I writed and commented it.

So now, I attach it here, I really hope someone with experience can review it, I have some doubts on the memories I'm using and the positive pulses and Set and Reset's.

So, I'm really counting on you guys.

Best regards.

Juan

Ok,
I looked around and tryed to figure out how to use a FIFO register on this problem.
So I think I got it, I writed and commented it.

So now, I attach it here, I really hope someone with experience can review it, I have some doubts on the memories I'm using and the positive pulses and Set and Reset's.

So, I'm really counting on you guys.

Best regards.

Juan

The program I'm attaching is a *.tif file, I'm compressing it because the site doesn't allow me to upload the *.tif flie, and a *.pdf is too big (more than the 300KB the site allows).

Juan

Hello,

I'm trying to debbug my program, and I made some changes, but I still have a lot of doubts on rungs 6, 11, 13 and 14.

On rung 6 I can't make the Input word of the FIFO register to get the value of the timer, I believe is because I reset the timer to 0 before the FIFO gets the word, so it gest a 0 (that's what I believe). And on the other rungs I have doubts regarding the use of the memories.

(On rung 3, I change a 300 for a 3 just for simluation porpouses).

Hope someone is following me.....

Best regards

Juan

Hello everyone,

I'been debugging the program I wrote with a simple simulator that comes with the software, so I made a couple of modifications to be able to write the value of the timer on rung 8 to the FIFO register (rung 9), so I added rung 10.

But this isn't helping either,the value of my FIFO register stays in zero.

I hope someone is helping me, and if you guys need more details I'll be glad to answer the questions you may had.

Best regards

Juan