Processor capacity.

HoldenC

We recently purchased a new machine that has a 5069-L306ERS2 compactlogix. We are adding some lines of code for data collection for our SCADA system, and see that the capacity it at 91%. This machine is rather small, and I cant see it taking up that much space. (0.6 MB)

Is there anyway to "analyze" the program and see what it taking up the space ?

I usually look at the code line by line and figure out if it is an OEM program with a lot of extras, terribly written, or just big.

We recently purchased a new machine that has a 5069-L306ERS2 compactlogix. We are adding some lines of code for data collection for our SCADA system, and see that the capacity it at 91%. This machine is rather small, and I cant see it taking up that much space. (0.6 MB)

Is there anyway to "analyze" the program and see what it taking up the space ?

No, but you have some other options:
- Go through the controller- and program-scoped tags and filter for the unused ones.
- Go down the list of UDTs/AOIs in the tree and delete the ones not in use (they still use controller memory).
- Try File -> Compact to free any fragmented memory.

I have encountered programs from OEM's that were written for one size fits all. The program is written for several different models of machine. The tech that commissions the machine disables/enables logic to fit the model purchased. Loads and loads of logic that are not needed for the model you bought. Very hard to trouble shoot too.

I have encountered programs from OEM's that were written for one size fits all. The program is written for several different models of machine. The tech that commissions the machine disables/enables logic to fit the model purchased. Loads and loads of logic that are not needed for the model you bought. Very hard to trouble shoot too.

Great case for modular programs per configuration, program-scoped tags, and selectively inhibiting the others (or just deleting them).

I guess stuffing everything into a single program and blowing up the controller-scoped tags with 1837117153392396382715 items is way more awesome.

Last edited:
Ken you have to love the one size fits all code. 15 different machines with options and you just turn on the model you want and options.

I hate that type of programming. 99% of the techs that work for those companies cant troubleshoot thier systems.

This machine has horrible programing. I found a bunch of routines that were written as a test, and somehow made it into a finished machine. This was verified by their programmer.

I did come across a lot of logic for features that we don't have. However, not many tags have descriptions, just arrays all named "bit" that help so much. So removing these may be a challenge.