Control Logix processor swap possible without Controls person?

stayclashy80

So I have an interesting question. I work with sites that don't have controls tech's and wanted to know if its possible for a processor to be swapped out without a controls tech present. For example the processor is a 1756-L81ES GuardLogix 5580 Safety Controller. Lets say this died and they went to put the spare one in. I have heard there are compact flash cards inside the processors. Will they be able to swap the compact flash card into the new one and it will flash the proper firmware, IP address and download the program into it? Also can I tell if there is a compact flash card installed and properly configured from studio? Thanks for the help.

Yes, the ControlLogix 1756-L8x series has removable storage that can hold the firmware and user program. That generation (and the 1756-L7x generation) uses Secure Digital (SD) cards.

There is a user manual describing how to configure the storage and recovery options, and some other resources online.

https://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/pm/1756-pm017_-en-p.pdf

BUT.... you're using GuardLogix.

While GuardLogix v18 and later supported nonvolatile storage for program transport and firmware update/supervisor features, I'm not certain that installing a new CPU with a different serial number will allow the system to operate, because it won't have been involved in the creation of the safety signature.

I will have to defer to folks with more GuardLogix maintenance and recovery experience. I've only ever set them up and let them run, and have never had to replace one.

ah ok very good info. Thanks Ken you da man. Some of my sites use regular ControlLogix processors and some use GuardLogix so this will be good info for the ControlLogix sites. I would still like to know about the GuardLogix options as well if anyone can shed light on that. Thank you!

By default, the SD card isn't written to unless you set that up in Studio. When you do push the processor image to the SD card, the unit will go down for a bit, reboot, then continue running.

You can later see in Studio what is on the card and when it was written.

That is fine for just a simple backup and restore to the same processor, but each Guardlogix processor has a unique serial number that is involved in the safety connections. I just went through this, had to re-establish all of the safety connections to generate new SNNs.

So I have new maybe easier question about this. If I have a spare processor, lets just says its a contrologix so were not dealing with the safety signature. I have the spare and I want to put it on the network so I can connect to it remotely. Lets say the original processor died and I know what the IP address of the original processor is. Can I use a simple handhelp IP address tool to se the new spare blank processor to the IP address that the original one was set to. Then once it has an IP address can I connect to it remotely by upload then program it.

We have an OEM that looks at the PLC serial number before letting the machine run. Its their way of making sure you dont copy the system. Just a pitfall to watch out for.