Control Logix Processor as E/IP Adapter

ndzied1

Lifetime Supporting Member
Is it possible to set up a Control Logix Processor as an Ethernet/IP Adapter?

I have a device that I want to communicate with a CLX but the device can only be a scanner.

Thanks

I don't think that there is a way to configure a ControlLogix to be a generic Adapter object over EtherNet/IP.

I've reviewed this a few times and there just isn't an Adapter object.

When I need to test a generic scanner, I reach for the Red Lion DSP-SX running its EtherNet/IP Adapter because it's compact and simple. The OpENer open-source adapter is another quick-and-dirty adapter that might be even better since you could run Wireshark on the target machine for analysis.

I don't think Prosoft makes an in-chassis module that is appropriate for this application. An AnyBus-X with EtherNet/IP Adapters on both ends might get your data where it's going, but it will be kludgy.

That what I was afraid of. My device is CoDeSys based and I believe they are coming out with an E/IP adapter interface in the next service pack so maybe that will be available soon.

Would you know if the ControlLogix can do Modbus/TCP? I can be a Master or Slave on Modbus.

You might have some luck with the right EDS file(s). Consuming a tag is fundamentally similar to typical scanner/adapter type Class 1 communications. The key is how to request the data to read - by tag name, as with a CLX produced tag, or with assembly instances, which is the usual way. The first time I saw this was with Schneider Electric EIP modules - adding the correct EDS files to the config allowed for specifying the tag name and it is then possible to consume the tag from the Logix platform.

Can your Codesys device use EDS files for configuration? My limited Codesys experience with EIP has always been using assembly instances but it may now be possible to specify an EDS file.

Rasperry pi?
The Pi runs on CoDeSys and suffers the same lack of adapter support as the Eaton PLC I'm working with.

Also, I would not put it into a real machine. I'm ok with it for demo and in-house science fair projects but not on a customer's machine.

Can your Codesys device use EDS files for configuration? My limited Codesys experience with EIP has always been using assembly instances but it may now be possible to specify an EDS file.

I'm not sure about that but I believe we will be going with a Modbus/TCP converter module that writes to and reads from data areas set up in the ControlLogix.