Produce/Consume to legacy controller versions

asdf6

Question
-----------------------
-Can I create a produce/consume connection between these two processors without upgrading the L72's firmware? (Cannot find 5380 CompactLogix in IO tree)

System
----------------------------
Existing system
- 1756-L72 - v20
- 1756-EN2T

New System
- 5069-L310ER - V31

Requirements
-------------------------------
- Bi-directional data flow between these two processors at a RPI of 30ms (max)

Yes, you can.

The simplest workaround is to create a "placeholder" in the I/O tree of a similar Logix controller to use as a target.

I have always had success placing a 1769-L35E in the I/O tree in place of a 5370-series (1769-L16/18/33/36, etc) or a 5380-series (5069-L306/310, etc).

Is there a need for a workaround?

xS3x3R8.png

Technically, there is no need to add to IO tree for producers.

Since the original post asked for "bidirectional" data exchange, each controller that Consumes tags needs to have an I/O tree object for the Producing controller.

If the 1756-L72 controller was only Producing tags, then you are correct that it would not need the 5069 controller in its I/O tree, whether with a precise object definition or a placeholder.

My copy of RSLogix 5000 v20 also has the 5069 controllers available in its module selections on Ethernet, and shows v32 (the highest version I have installed) as the default target controller version for electronic keying purposes.

I don't know for certain if that's because I have newer Studio 5000 versions installed, but that makes sense if each of the versions is using a common hardware database.

I do not have Studio 5000 installed alongside RSLogix 5000, and i cannot see any 5069 add-on profiles when trying to add a device to the I/O tree. Same also applies to the customer I am working with and I will need to use a placeholder.

Thanks for posting those details about how your installation differs; that's going to be very helpful.

I *think* that a few years ago Rockwell switched to using an embedded instance of Microsoft SQL Server to hold EDS files and module profiles, which allows easier backward and forward compatibility for features like the available hardware lists.

Be sure to make notes in your program that the CompactLogix object is a placeholder for a different model !