Proface HMI communicate with TRIO PLC

MacroPc

My PLC is a TRIO Flex 6 Nano and my HMI is a LT4301 Proface. I have a sensor wired up to the hmi and its working correctly. I want to have the HMI communicate with the PLC via ethernet. The PLC is connected to a drive and drive to servo. Everything is connected via ethernet hub.

Using Motion Perfect v4 and GP PRO-EX 4.08 how can I set up the software to talk to eachother?

This is hardware we use in our machines. Other machines that are built have input going into a CAN module then into the HMI. So I know its possible I just dont know how to set it up in the software.
I'm still learning and my "training" isn't... normal. Boss decided I was going to program our machines and instead of me getting trained properly he said, "Theres a computer over there, go use it."

It appears that Proface have a canbus or can open module so probably supports it, however, I have no experience on can so hopefully someone on here can help you out, is it possible to look at existing projects to get some idea of what is required.

Yes and no - I can view other machines and their programs ect but none use these exact models and I just simply can't figure it out. There really isn't alot of information available on the web for people to learn this all from scratch. I've read everything I've found (been on this pc for about 7 months now) but putting everything into practice is the best way I learn and all I have available to me right now is a little setup on my desk with 1 of each components (servo, plc, drive, hmi, sensor, etc...). Not too mention Trio is not nearly as popular as seimens or allen bradley so there is even less information out there.

I believe I have GP Pro EX setup correctly. went through the Add Device/plc and then set up some ladder logic to send a bit and tested with sensor and lamp. Now I just need to figure out how to set up Motion Perfect to read the MEMLINK in Gp Pro.

We have machines set up using both. But again, I dont know how to set up MP - for any communication.

Ok I got it mostly figured out. Was able to call someone in this field in Texas (I'm in wisconsin) that helped me out. For future readers this is how its done:

First, in Motion Perfect you have to define the set of VRs that will get mapped to your device like so (in Startup program):

ETHERNET(1, -1, 14, 0, 7, -1) ' clears previous mapping
ETHERNET(1, -1, 14, 0, 7, 0, 1, 300, 0, 0)'maps VRs 0 into modbus 16bit int

Then, in Gp Pro EX you add your Device/PLC through the "add device/PLC" screen under "Screen List". You can select your device/PLC from the list - if it does not show it on the list I used the Schneider Electric SA manufacturer and then the MODBUS TCP master and Port "Ethernet TCP".

You can name the device and then you have to click the icon to the right of it and go through the setup, you need to know the IP address of your device and port (default 502).

Thats half of it, now I just need to get reading values from the plc down, It should work just the same - set a value in HMI and read it in the VRs in MP.

Now, in Gp Pro EX add a control and change its Monitor Word Address by clicking the calculator next to it and changing the Device/PLC to the name you gave to your device/plc and whatever VR you set a value to, thats the number you enter in. Thats it. You can run the program in Motion Perfect and it should work and show up on your device - mine is a Proface HMI.

Theres not alot of documentation on the ETHERNET command in Motion Perfect so I can't explain all of it but where 300 is in the parameters is the number of VRs you are mapping to your device.

Last edited:
Ok I got it mostly figured out. Was able to call someone in this field in Texas (I'm in wisconsin) that helped me out. For future readers this is how its done:

First, in Motion Perfect you have to define the set of VRs that will get mapped to your device like so (in Startup program):

ETHERNET(1, -1, 14, 0, 7, -1) ' clears previous mapping
ETHERNET(1, -1, 14, 0, 7, 0, 1, 300, 0, 0)'maps VRs 0 into modbus 16bit int

Then, in Gp Pro EX you add your Device/PLC through the "add device/PLC" screen under "Screen List". You can select your device/PLC from the list - if it does not show it on the list I used the Schneider Electric SA manufacturer and then the MODBUS TCP master and Port "Ethernet TCP".

You can name the device and then you have to click the icon to the right of it and go through the setup, you need to know the IP address of your device and port (default 502).

Thats half of it, now I just need to get reading values from the plc down, It should work just the same - set a value in HMI and read it in the VRs in MP.

Now, in Gp Pro EX add a control and change its Monitor Word Address by clicking the calculator next to it and changing the Device/PLC to the name you gave to your device/plc and whatever VR you set a value to, thats the number you enter in. Thats it. You can run the program in Motion Perfect and it should work and show up on your device - mine is a Proface HMI.

Theres not alot of documentation on the ETHERNET command in Motion Perfect so I can't explain all of it but where 300 is in the parameters is the number of VRs you are mapping to your device.

FYI: If you are in WI call PowerMation and ask for Dale,he may be able to help out with the Trio unit. Not sure who your Trio vendor is but worth a try.