ProFace ST401 touchscreen to AB Microlologix 1500 LSP

Tua

Im trying to setup the communication ports between a Proface ST401 AG41-24V and an AB micrologix 1500 (LSP 1764 series c).

First i made the cable:
Both end made with rs232 9 pin , one end plugs straight into the
touchscreen and the other plugs into the 1761-CBL-PM02 cable(also used to download programs into PLC). Im using RSLogix 500 with RSlinx classic and GP-pro/PBIII package 03.

Here is the pin layout:

Pin 3 to pin 2

Pin 2 to pin 3

Pin 5 to Pin 5

Pin 7 to pin 8 only on the ST 401 side.

Connector shell to cable shield on the ST 401 side.

After that i set up the comunication ports as followed:

ST 401 settings

Speed

Data length

Stop bit

Parity

Even

Flow Control
ER (DTR/CTS)

SIO type
RS232C

DH address-GP
DH address-PLC

SIO type
RS232C

PLC SETTINGS

Baud rate

Parity
even

Node address- -

Driver
DF1- - Half- -duplex slave

Control- -line
No handshaking

Error Detection
BCC

EOT Suppression
Not checked

Duplicate packed detect
Not checked

Poll time out

Message retries

Pre transmit
delay

All i have on the touchscreen is one start one stop and one reset button.
When i connect the plc to the screen an error comes up on the screen and says that the PLC is not responding (error code 02:FE).

I also tried what i found on the thread below:

http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/showthread.php?t=18563

All this without any success..

Any help please..

Last edited:
I do not think you need to add the 9-pin to 9-pin cable. I have seen a Xycom print with the same cable pin out as the 1761-CBL-PM02, except Xycom also shows pins 7 and 8 connected and pins 4 and 6 connected in the 9-pin head.

If you do need to add your 9-pin to 9-pin cable, then you should make sure that the pin out between the 9-pin connector that attaches to the ST401 and the 8-pin connector that attaches to the 1500 is as follows. You can ring this out with a multi-meter.

AB-PLC ST401
8-pin 9-pin
------ -----
2-------5
3-------8
4-------3
5-------1
6-------7
7-------2

Additionally, on the ST401 side (inside the 9-pin connector), pins 7 and 8 are connected. Also, pins 4 and 6 are connected.

Check the GP-Pro C-Package -03 System Settings

By default with the Pro-face Pro C-Package software, the first 20 words are mapped to the PLC starting at address N7:0. So if you have anything in the PLC using N7:0-N7:19, then you may be over-writing a setting in the ST401 or from the ST401 to the PLC. These can be found in the GP-Pro software, GP Setup Menu>Extended Settings> System Area button. The watchdog setting in GP-Pro (monitors comms between ST401 and PLC) also defaults to N7:0.

Alternate 1, you can uncheck these options, force a system download in the transfer utility (which will reload the OS from scratch and reload the app and drivers settings). This will disable the mapping the 20 words from ST401<-->ML1500. Change the Watchdog to an unused PLC address.

Alternate 2, bump the system start address higher up in the PLC addresses (ex. N10:0). Change the watchdog as well.

I have attached a PDF with the proper settings in GP-Pro as well as a cable drawing of the HMI-CAB-ST106, which is a pre-made cable that goes from the ST401 to the round 8 pin connector on the ML series of PLC's. (In case you want to make your own).

Also attached the ST401\PLC settings from manual for direct connection (no AIC) and the cable diagram 7 (direct connection using AB programing cable)

If these do not work, please call Pro-face Tech Support @ 734-944-0482 (direct line) Eastern Time Zone (USA)

Or Pro-face Australia:
http://www.pro-face.com/company_e/proface/abroad/pfau.htm

Last edited:
Hey man thanks a lot for your help, it was a cable fault the diagram you sent me is the right one!I had one that i downloaded from the proface website and its wrong!!! Thanks again