profibus analyzer

gh_ounie

Hi every one
We are facing problem when we try to modify our plc s7 300 315/2DP to DCS yokogawa CS3000 R3 by use profibus network and fabric link module and we have tried many time without any success so are there any devices could analyze the connection and detect the fault becuase we are get frustrated and don't know where is the fault in SIEMENS plc or in yokogawa DCS .
Pls help we are running out of time and thanks for every one any suggestion will be valuable for us .

Hello gh_ounie;
The Procentec units are the best you can buy for Profibus troubleshooting, but they may be overkill, depending on the size and complexity of your project. Sioemens prooses a BT 200 Profibus troubleshooting module that can inform you of wiring problems. In any case, I suggest you start with the built-in diagnostics function of your Profibus-DP master.
I am not familiar with this particular module in Yokogawa's offering, so cannot give you details. But all certified Profibus masters come with diagnostic markers that allow you to find which slaves are incorrectly configured or not responding. And in my experience 95% of all Profibus faults are linked to hardware problems, mainly shield connection or miscalculations of the segment lengths.
Start by validating the bus configuration, and checking if any LEDs are lit on master and slaves. Compare this information with the diagnostics you find on the master, concentrate on each individual failed slave; check the cable connections, shield connection, termination... Try connecting to each individual slave on a Point-to-Point fashion (aadjusting your Profibus configuration for each test, of course). That will reassure you on the comm status of each individual slave.
If all yous slaves refuse to respond, you can do any easy test: reduce the overall speed of the network, even down to 187,5 kB; if they do start responding at a low bus speed, your problem is (very probably) in the shield connection somewhere, or in the termination. If they still do not respond, then it is probably wiring.
Hope this helps,
Daniel Chartier

Last edited:
Thanks dchartier
We appreciate your helping I attach the Diagnostic buffer of module CPU 315-2 DP Iwonder if you and any one els could advice us .
Thanks guys

Gh_ounie,
OB 82 is a diagnostic interrupt for the siemens pLC's. If you have configured the remote I/O on profibus and you have the incorrect address in the hardware configuration for the profibus drop as is what is set on the dip switches, (these are binary), the PLC will call OB 82. If OB 82 does not exist the PLC will immediately go into stop. Load OB82 and the PLC will stay in run mode then you can use step7 to look at the diagnostics of the profibus drop in the online hardware config.

Is the 315 a master or slave on the profibus network??? Do you have a BF light for bus fault? What is the fabric link module - a DP-DP coupler? Double check that your termination resistors are on the start and end of the profibus network - make sure if it is an end - that the cable is going into the connector (there is usually an arrow). Make sure that the ins/and outs match in length on both sides - also if you have the 2 words in on the 315 side that would be configured as 2 words out on the DCS side.....then 4 words out on the 315 would be 4 words in on the DCS side
PLC Side DCS Side
2 words in 2 words out
4 words out 4 words in

Last edited:
Hi Guys again
regarding to this matter are mentioned above
I want to aske some question and hope finding answers by the exporters because relay we are i frustrated situation :
1-We have n configuration that the DCS has configured correctly -if we imposed that the virtual memory in DCS wasn't configured in suitable manner shall our CPU goes to the stop mode when we download program with new modification ?
2-At or application it's not permissible for us to make many test because our Cpu lead important application in the factory but from other wise the exchang information just for monitoring and may we could stop it for a while of time So at this case could we take new CPU with same specifications and plug out the profibus connecting from the existing CPU when he is still running and plug in new CPU to make some testing without any damage or going to the stop mode in previous plc
3-our CPU is running in a LOOP with other CPU's shall that effect on our CPU .put when we turn -on a the resistance in profibus connection the situation still at same position ?
Thank .

1 - Depending on what OB's you have installed or not installed will determine how it handles errors on the profibus network - (Typically to keep system running while testing insert OB82(Diagnostic), OB86 (Rack Fault), OB121(Prog error), and OB122 (IO access error)
3 - If the PLC is in a daisy change config turning on the terminating resistor will stop communication with everything downstream...

The Word doc looks fine - did you save and compile the hardware then download it to the CPU???? If you open the PLC hardware online what does it say is the problem??? On the DCS side you have said that you will have an additional 8 word input for that slave???

Sorry I can't be more specific....

gh_ounie,
It is difficult to see what the problem is from the information you are providing. When your CPU started going to stop mode exactly what hardware items have you changed or added, network and I/O wise. IF you will include the OB's sylent suggested for testing then the diagnostics of the CPU will give us more information. The configuration looks OK. you also might include a zip version of the project.