Program Critique request

But as a more basic question I have, does my approach even make sense?

Yes but you will have about 120 lines of code minimum just to define what position needs to move where. I'm attempting to attach a "bit twiddleing" version that uses much fewer lines of code to define which load needs to move where.

Also, am I correct to use X0, X1, ETC. AND Y0, Y1, Y.... as my input and Outputs?

Yes this is correct for Automation Direct (Octal numbering zero inclusive).

(as I have seen the use of C0, C1 for outputs - and I just don't have enough understanding of the differences).

C bits are internal bits, and do not go to the outside world.

Here is a bit twiddling version that is written on an DL06 plc (easily transfered to a 250-1) I used addresses X100 - X105 instead of X0 to X5. When I tested this against the variables as I understood them it all worked.

Holy Scmholy Vaughn, looking through all this bit twiddling and Photo eye Debouncing and such. I am totally lost. I think I get the concept- now that you through it out there and explained a bit of it, but I would have NEVER knew about it's existance or the need/possibility to use this stuff.

Interesting. As I said earlier, I'll be interested to see what the contracted experts use and will keep you informed.

I knew from the beginning I was in way over my head. It just kills you to not know what you don't know.

As far as the rungs written in my way of doing things, you were correct, I had about 132 lines just to define the movements for the three zones. This has not even considered the inputs from Start buttons, E-Stops, What it means to/how to Home. How to recover from E-Stop, talking to HMI and countless otherthings that need to be considered, and those that have yet to be discovered... ugh