programmatic OPC Quality

On a Omron CQM1 CPU21, I’m incrementing a DM location and then reading the value of this location via OPC (DA 2.0 using Open Data Server and/or Kepware). Since I programmatically incremented the value, the resulting OPC Quality is always Good. Is there a way that I can programmatically force the Quality of this data location to be Bad, Unknown, etc?

thanks!

joe

If you are reading BCD numbers then write #FFFF to the data location - this may do it but I do not know. I do not particularly like OPC quite frankly.

Writing FFFF to the memory location and then trying to read the OPC item would probably result in Engineering Units Exceeded.

In some OPC documentation, I found the Quality BitField; QQSSSSLL, but I still do not know where this memory location is so that I can manipulate it within my ladder program.

Since the OC Quality is used to propagate the state of a sensor attached to the PLC, it seems very likely that these bits are accessible, but Omron's documentation does not mention it anywhere that I've found.

Yea, I have my gripes about OPC too. Then again, I have my gripes about sitting infront of this computer when I could be our surfing.

Anyways, any further pointers would be greatly appreciated!

joe

still looking for an answer...

After not receiving a response from Omron Tech support via email, I gave them a call this morning...

Unfortunately, I still don't have an answer. Everyone knows that the Quality is bad when the PLC is disconnected, but noone has been able to explain how I set Quality, such as Sensor Failure, Device Failure, etc.

Can I not do this because I have just have basic digital input modules on my PLC? Would all of this quality become transparent if I had an analog module hooked up to an analog sensor? Even so, I'd guess that the ladder program would still need to access these quality bits.

Have you had a look on the Microsoft site at all? There may be something there.

oceanwanderlust said:
Everyone knows that the Quality is bad when the PLC is disconnected, but noone has been able to explain how I set Quality, such as Sensor Failure, Device Failure, etc..

Hello OceanWanderLust,
The quality that you speak of with OPC, is the quality of the data itself (i.e. the connection), not a value.
So if you have a Sensor failure, the values currently in the DM area will still be read succesfully by the OPC server (whatever the values), and the quality would still be good.
I may be wrong, but I believe what you are asking is not possible. I think that you need to manipulate your ladder program in order to detect sensor failure etc, then flag that error condition as a seperate alarm or whatever.

Hope this helps.