Programming a Scada system for a S7-200/300 PLC

stevennoppe

Hello,

I would like to know if it's possible to create my own windows application, that can communicates with a Siemens S7-200 or S7-300 PLC?

I know VC++, VC# and VB, so programming isn't a problem for me and I also know a little about the S7 PLCs.

What would I need to communicate with a PLC?
A CP 5613 - PCI Card from Siemens, to connect my PC to Profibus?
Where can I find the Communication protocol and if possible some tutorials/manuals?
Does Siemens have its own communication protocol or is there a standard profibus protocol?

Thanx in advance for any help!

Hi steven,

try this.

libnodave.sourceforge.net/

its a free library that can be used with VBA,Vb, vb.net, VC++ etc, works with s7300 and s7200. best of all its free!
if you want something that siemens will support, try searching Prodave, tho i'm not sure if they still sell it. oh and almost forgot, it will work with the standard MPI /PPI comms and it supports TCP/IP

Last edited:
Steven,

as henry5674 pointed out, it's perfectly possible. If you're doing this out of interest, I'ld say: go ahead. But if this is some commercial project I'ld advise you to seriously consider to turn to acommercially available SCADA system, such as WinCC, Citect, InTouch and many others. Although these seem expensive, they're certainly cheaper than a roll-your-own system if your hours have to be paid by someone.

Kind regards,