PT 100 to PT1000 Conversion

ktmtragic

Hi Guys

Is it possible to covert a PT100 signal to PT1000 ? Please don't tell me change the probe !!! NOT Possible. I am thinking a PLC to do the analog conversion. Anyone know of a simple solution ?
Thanks

Possibly. There's a lot of different ways to have that signal get back to your PLC. Is it directly wired, does it go through a conditioner, what PLC, what I/O module?

Nothing wired yet. Have a dual output PT 100 probe that I would like to use one output convert to PT1000 and send to the instrument. The other output is used by the machine. Haven't picked a PLC or conditioner just exploring my options at the moment.
Thanks

I would always go for a temperature probe with integrated 4-20mA transmitter.
But barring that, many PLCs have RTD inputs that are configurable for a range of sensor types. So you can have Pt100, Pt1000, Ni1000 going into the same RTD card.

You can get a signal conditioner that would solve the issue, like this:
https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/signal-conditioners/1448687
Or just mount a second probe right next to the original.
I'm probably wrong in saying this, but I'm not aware of a PLC output module that can simulate a resistance output.

The usual solution is to use a conditioner to give you an analog signal, or find some serial communication method for your instrument, but if you must use PT1000 and you've only got PT100, options are limited.
What is the instrument you're trying to connect to?