Pumping Program using one shot

rmcfee

how do i create a pumping program that toggles between two pumps and turns off between cycles? the program can only use a single on/off switch.

Since we can't read minds. You need to add a lot more description of what you are trying to do. If it's a homework assignment, post partial work and we can give you hints.

Sounds like flip-flop, search for it.

yes its homework. what i'm trying to do is create a pump program that toggles between pump1 and pump2. the system should turn off between toggling. i have already built the system on/off with a one shot rising bit. now i just need to turn the system on and only pump1. then system off. then system on and only pump2. the training programming we are using is iTrilogy.

what i'm stuck on is getting the pumps to switch between the each other with a system off between toggling from pump1 to pump2. i can get the system to turn on and off, and each pump will turn on and off as i turn the system on and off. how do i get the program to toggle on with pump1 only. then toggle off. then toggle on with only pump2 only.

There's probably hundreds of different way to code it. The only way it matters for you is guiding you in the direction so you can think about this logically to complete your assignment. In order to do that, we need to see the work you done already.

Speaking in generality, what one need here is 3 different states.

1. Pump1 On
2. Pump2 On
3. Both off.

Think of a way to create 3 states with the button and you will be 90% there.

My thought is similar to james, create logic that when the switch is activated it starts pump 1. Pump 1 and pump 2 have to be mutually exclusive and after a given time pump 1 turns off and starts pump 2. Im not familiar with your programming software but im sure it has those basic abilities.

Are you doing this with a momentary or maintained switch?

If a momentary, Since you are already using a OSR, have you considered using an OSF to perform a different function?

As James explains it. Use your button to count up a number, if the number is larger then 4, replace with 1.

Now look at your number and start/stop the pumps. Et voila, you have a state machine :).

Now take it a step further. What happens if you have pump 1 running and it fails/trips, do you want to start pump 2?

Or.. You are in step 4 and pump 1 is unavailable, will you start pump 2 on your next push of the button?

Make a drawing, each step is a circle. Draw arrows between the circles that are connected by button-pushes and then add arrows.

Good luck!