Putting a SLC 5/05 on DH+

JPCompounds

We are looking to upgrade out system across the board but I can't do all the units at once due to budget reasons. So we are going to try and upgrade 1 unit at a time.

This presents some problems. The first unit I am looking at is an old PLC 5/15 with a remote rack, and a remote Mettler scale. It utilizes push button, indicator lights, temperature gages etc. It is pretty straight forward but dated.

I will be replacing the unit with a new box with a SLC 5/05 and a touch screen. This will eliminate 2/3 of my points as I will no longer have indicators, or hardwired push buttons.

The problem is this will be the first ethernet unit and I would like it to still communicate on the DH+ network until we can fully intergrate "all" my PLCs. We currently have 2 other SLC 5/04s and 1 PLC 5/30. Is there a card to put the 5/05 on the DH+ network during what very well may be a long interim period? And will I have to upgrade my RS Logix 500 to work on the 5/05?

Thanks,

J

JPCompounds said:
We are looking to upgrade out system across the board but I can't do all the units at once due to budget reasons. So we are going to try and upgrade 1 unit at a time.

This presents some problems. The first unit I am looking at is an old PLC 5/15 with a remote rack, and a remote Mettler scale. It utilizes push button, indicator lights, temperature gages etc. It is pretty straight forward but dated.

I will be replacing the unit with a new box with a SLC 5/05 and a touch screen. This will eliminate 2/3 of my points as I will no longer have indicators, or hardwired push buttons.

The problem is this will be the first ethernet unit and I would like it to still communicate on the DH+ network until we can fully intergrate "all" my PLCs. We currently have 2 other SLC 5/04s and 1 PLC 5/30. Is there a card to put the 5/05 on the DH+ network during what very well may be a long interim period? And will I have to upgrade my RS Logix 500 to work on the 5/05?

Thanks,

J

Is it too late to start out using a Clgx with 1756-ENBT instead?
You could have the 1756-DHRIO card to interface to the existing RIO racks, and still communicate to other PLCs via DH+.

Ian

Hmm... don't have any experience with Control Logix. Does it function the same as the SLCs? Can I program it with Rslogix 500 or does it require 5000?

I haven't gotten anything just starting now to put the project together so I'm pretty open.

RS LOGIX 500 can be used to program the 5/05.

I've never used one, but take at look at this:
http://www.protocolconverter.com/products/dl3500dhIAPDH+.html

From the web page:

* Any AB Ethernet PLC (MicroLogix, SLC 5/05, CompactLogix, FlexLogix, PLC-5E, ControlLogix) will be able to send either read or write MSG (message) instructions to any DH+ PLC (SLC 5/04, PLC-5) across the DL3500-DH+/IAP bridge.

JPCompounds said:
Hmm... don't have any experience with Control Logix. Does it function the same as the SLCs? Can I program it with Rslogix 500 or does it require 5000?

I haven't gotten anything just starting now to put the project together so I'm pretty open.

Contrologix works great as a gateway between multiple networks. I have done several projects where old classic PLC5 and SLCs have been incorporated into the Contrologix using either RIO with the 1756-DHRIO card or Controlnet using the 1756-CNB controlnet scanner/adapter.

With Contrologix, you know need a new software package RSlogix5000, and of course, the slippery slope of other 'stuff'.

With a Contrologix, you can message via ethernet to existing SLC 5/05s, message via DH+ to SLC 5/04s and PLC5 with DH+, and/or use the Contrologix via the 1756-DHRIO to become the scanner for any existing 1771 RIO or 1747 RIO.

Contrologix is worth looking into if you are at the beginning, because some day you will have to be involved with it.

Ian

Last edited:
Technically going from a PLC5 to and SLC500 is not an upgrade, it's just a sideways movement to newer components; which the PLC5 still offers. My point is it may be possible to make some changes to the PLC5 system that may save enough time and/or money to do more then you think, it depends but since you have another PLC5 I would look into all options. You should be able to add an Ethernet port to any PLC5 using a 1785-ENET.

I guess it depends on the relationship with AB and/or distributor but they do have an UPGRADE program that gives you credit for the old stuff...whether worth it or not you would have to investigate.
http://www.ab.com/stepforward/

In a situation like this where you know you may spending a fair amount of money I would get AB and/or their distributor involved.

rsdoran said:
Technically going from a PLC5 to and SLC500 is not an upgrade, it's just a sideways movement to newer components;

Its not really even a sideways move. The SLC is an inferior platform to the PLC5, despite the fact that it is newer.

-----------------------------------------

It makes no sense whatsoever to me to undergo an upgrade which in fact is no upgrade at all. Chances are, that PLC5 will be supported by AB for longer than that SLC will. If you want to really do an upgrade then don't "tight wad" it and spring the extra couple of grand for RSLogix 5000. The money is a mere pittance to what you are going to spend on the upgrade anyways, and you'll find that CLX IO is price competitive with the SLC family.

Once you are actually ready to take the step you really should be taking, then everything else becomes simpler. Put your ethernet in place now. Then put a DHRIO card in the Control Logix rack and connect up your DH plus equipment. Now you can access everything over Enet, you can browse right through the DHRIO card to anything that is on DH+. I also think that you will find this to be the most economical solution.

We have several PLC5s in operation which I see no need of replacing at this time. They have RSView stations connected to them. The RSView stations use Ethernet over an ordinary NIC card. They are connected to a bridge that consits of a control logix rack with a ENBT and DHRIO card in it. There is no need for any processor in the rack. The bridge is transparent and seamless and I can browse across the office ethernet to the bridge and go onine with any PLC on the DH+ network without any kind of special gear in my desktop using just the built in ethernet port supplied by Dell.

I recommed that at this point you contact your local distributor and learn more about how this works.

Last edited: