PV+ 600 Micrologix 1200 connection problems

baghuan

Hello all. I am trying to set up a new system consisting of a PanelView Plus 600 (2711P-T6C5D, RSView ME v4.00.12) and a Micrologix 1200 (1762-L40AWAR) connected through an AB Port Splitter (1747-DPS1) and also to my laptop.

The PV+ is connected to the network port on the DPS1 using a 2711-CBL-PM05 (I also tried a 2711-NC21), the PLC is on the controller port of the DPS1 through a 1762-CBL-HM02, and the laptop is connected to the Prog/HMI port with a 1747-CP3 cable. All of those connections are as per the advice of our AB/electrical component supplier.

I do not have a built in serial port on the laptop, I have a Socket PCMCIA card. I am running RSLinx Professional(2.43.00.21), I have RSView Studio(3.10.00) with RSLinx Enterprise.

Within RSLinx professional I can see the PLC on the DF1 driver. Within RSView Studio/RSLinx Enterprise I can see the PLC on the DF1 node. I cannot get the PV+ to show up anywhere.

I have tried connecting straight to the PV+ using the PCMCIA serial port and a 2711-NC13 cable and no luck there either.

I think that this PV+ is RS232/DF1 only, is that right? Is the problem my PCMCIA card not being native RS232 and something within the PV+?

I am not married to this configuration, all I really want is something that will allow the PV+ and the PLC to communicate, but right now I can't even get to the PV+ using anything I have.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Have you read this? I have never used one of these but the manual seem to cover everything. Hope it helps.

I have read that, and I have tried the 1761-PM02 cable going from the DPS1 to the PV+ with no luck.

I think the problem may be twofold, in that the serial PCMCIA card I am using may not work, and the DPS1 may not work in this configuration.

I would think I should be able to see the PV+ in RSLinx Enterprise if that is th only device on my serial port, but I don't. Is the 2711-NC13 the wong cable for that?

The first thing I'd do is go ahead and get upgraded to FactoryTalk View Studio Machine Edition version 5.0. It is a great deal more usable than version 3.10 and will support the features in your 4.0 PanelView.

Next let's get the cabling right. The cable between the PV+ and the computer is a "straight through" serial cable. The 2711-NC13 is an appropriate straight-through serial cable.

Next let's get the driver right. Since you have only one COM port with that PCMCIA expansion card, only one program can use it at a time. RSLinx Enterprise cannot run its RS232 driver at the same time as RSLinx Classic.

If RSLinx Classic can communicate with the MicroLogix controller, it can also at least view the PanelView Plus terminal over the DF1 connection.

You're going to have to examine the DF1 driver in the PanelView Plus configuration screens to be sure that it exists and is set for the correct baud rate and error checking.

When all this is said and done, you're still going to have to switch between the RSLinx Enterprise DF1 driver and the RSLinx Classic DF1 driver in order to use them with this PC that only has one serial port.

There is a way to run them side-by-side; look in the RA Knowledgebase for that.

My usual method for dealing with a serial port shortage is to add one (the Keyspan HS-19 USB/RS232 adapter is my favorite) or to NOT use the RSLinx Enterprise driver and just transfer applications to the PV+ via a CompactFlash memory card.