'Communication between AB Panel View Plus 600 with micrologix 1200 controller'‏

On the terminal : Application Settings/System Information/FTVME -> write down the firmware level.

Open up the application with FTVS ME and then, from the Menu bar, choose Application/Create Runtime Application; within the configuration applet choose the same level as the terminal firmware's first two digits (Example 5.0, 6.0 or 5.1); create the Runtime within the C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Documents\RSView Enterprise\ME\Runtime.
Go to location and Copy/Paste it within the CompactFlash [Root]:\Rockwell Software\RSViewME\Runtime folder.
Repeat the Copy from the CF to the terminal's Internal Memory.

Not the series letter, nor the hardware revision letter, it's the FRN number you need.

Hopefully, it is something like 5.119 or 4.120

Once you know the FRN (firmware revision number) then you can use FTView Studio to create a runtime file for that particular major revision level. Or use controlflash to install firmware which matches your runtime file.

appreciate!!!!!
I am going to find it tomorrow.

As Ken pointed out, there are many ways to setup comms between these two devices and a PC. This is another one that I use.

Note: I do not require being able to connect the PC to the PV+600 and the controller at the same time. This method keeps the necessary hardware, cabling, etc. to a minimum. If you do require a connection to both at the same time, then do not follow this option.
Also my configuration is between a PV+600 and CompactLogix controller, but I have a solution for your setup.

I only connect PV+600's to the controller, nothing else. Having an Ethernet port on the CompactLogix to connect the PC to gets us around this problem anyway.

All of our PV+600(non Ethernet) are connected to CompactLogix 1769-L32's on the 9pin port. We make up our own cables to link these as lenghts between terminals and controllers can vary. The attached jpg "PV+600 to PLC pinout" maps the pins on the PV+600 9pin serial port to the pins on a 9pin, 25pin or 8pin port on an AB controller. Our 9pin-9pin cable is easier make up as these plugs are more easily available. The 8pin mini-DIN plugs are not so easy find, at least not in our neck of the woods.

The proper cables for a PV+600 9pin to a ML1200 8pin mini-DIN are the 2711-NC21(5mtr) or -NC22(15mtr). If you have one of those it's a straight forward connection.

If you don't and your ok with making a cable up:
The diagram also shows you the pinout required for a PV+600 9pin - ML1200 8pin mini-DIN direct connection cable. What I would do in your situation is, if you have a spare 1761-CBL-PM02 as a test cable, cut the 9pin end off. Use the second jpg attached "1761-CBL-PM02 pinout" to identify the pin numbers and positions on the 8pin mini-DIN end. Use a multimeter to bell out which cores at the cut end are coming from pins 2,4 and 7. Use the first jpg again to connect cores 2,4 and 7 from the 8pin mini-DIN to pins 5, 2 and 3 respectively on a new 9pin female serial plug. These cables can be up to 50ft long. If you needed a longer lenght than the PM02(2mtr), you could get a PM05 or PM10. Make sure the unused cores are insulated from each other and the 9pin plug.

You can use DF1 or DH485 with this cable. I have not attempted this cable before, it's just what I would try in your case, as we have spare PM02s. I cannot guarantee it will work, but it should.

Then, if you haven't already suceeded, continue to follow Ken's instructions in post #2 option #3 to setup the FTVS applications driver to communicate with the controller.

Ken Roach said:
3. In RSLinx Classic, configure the Runtime tab only. You can do this manually by right-clicking and adding the Serial DF1 driver, then right-clicking and adding the MicroLogix 1200 to the DF1 driver. Set up the driver as DF1 Full Duplex at 19200 baud, and be sure to set the error checking as CRC mode. Be sure to configure the Runtime tab driver to use COM1; this is the onboard serial port on the PanelView Plus terminal.

To load the *.MER application files into the terminal I always use a USB flash drive. Yes I know there can be issues finding a USB flash drive that works, but I have one. I also use it to upgrade the firmware. Note: On the PV+600, any firmware below FRN 4 does not recognise USB flash drives. You have a CF card working so that's ok too. We have one for backup in case USB fails.

You can do as others have pointed out and find your PV's current FRN, create your MER at that FRN and reload it.

I prefer to keep the PV's firmware updated to the latest available. If you want to do this you can use the Firmware Upgrade Wizard(FUW) to create a firmware upgrade using your CF card or a USB flash drive. Backup/remove any existing application files from the PV first. You can open FUW from the default location: "Start\Rockwell Software\RSView Enterprise\Firmware Upgrade Wizard". In there you select the firmware upgrade file from the default location: "C:\Program Files\Rockwell Software\RSView Enterprise\FUPs". If you don't have it, download it from:

http://compatibility.rockwellautoma...ds.aspx?crumb=112&toggleState=&versions=51522

Select the revision that is compatible with your version of FTVS and save it to the "FUPs" folder as above.

In FUW choose the destination storage device for the upgrade files, your CF card. Store files in the root of the CF card. With the PV powered off, insert CF card and power up. It should start the upgrade automatically. When finished, reload your MER using the CF card again and there should be no version incompatibility issue.

Just some more options, go with whatever your comfortable with.

G.

PV+600 to PLC pinout.jpg 1761-CBL-PM02 pinout.jpg

As Ken pointed out, there are many ways to setup comms between these two devices and a PC. This is another one that I use.

Note: I do not require being able to connect the PC to the PV+600 and the controller at the same time. This method keeps the necessary hardware, cabling, etc. to a minimum. If you do require a connection to both at the same time, then do not follow this option.
Also my configuration is between a PV+600 and CompactLogix controller, but I have a solution for your setup.

I only connect PV+600's to the controller, nothing else. Having an Ethernet port on the CompactLogix to connect the PC to gets us around this problem anyway.

All of our PV+600(non Ethernet) are connected to CompactLogix 1769-L32's on the 9pin port. We make up our own cables to link these as lenghts between terminals and controllers can vary. The attached jpg "PV+600 to PLC pinout" maps the pins on the PV+600 9pin serial port to the pins on a 9pin, 25pin or 8pin port on an AB controller. Our 9pin-9pin cable is easier make up as these plugs are more easily available. The 8pin mini-DIN plugs are not so easy find, at least not in our neck of the woods.

The proper cables for a PV+600 9pin to a ML1200 8pin mini-DIN are the 2711-NC21(5mtr) or -NC22(15mtr). If you have one of those it's a straight forward connection.

The diagram also shows you the pinout required for a PV+600 9pin - ML1200 8pin mini-DIN direct connection cable. What I would do in your situation is, if you have a spare 1761-CBL-PM02 as a test cable, cut the 9pin end off. Use the second jpg attached "1761-CBL-PM02 pinout" to identify the pin numbers and positions on the 8pin mini-DIN end. Use a multimeter to bell out which cores at the cut end are coming from pins 2,4 and 7. Use the first jpg again to connect cores 2,4 and 7 from the 8pin mini-DIN to pins 5, 2 and 3 respectively on a new 9pin female serial plug. These cables can be up to 50ft long. If you needed a longer lenght than the PM02(2mtr), you could get a PM05 or PM10. Make sure the unused cores are insulated from each other and the 9pin plug.

You can use DF1 or DH485 with this cable. I have not attempted this cable before, it's just what I would try in your case, as we have spare PM02s. I cannot guarantee it will work, but it should.

Then, if you haven't already suceeded, continue to follow Ken's instructions in post #2 option #3 to setup the FTVS applications driver to communicate with the controller.

To load the *.MER application files into the terminal I always use a USB flash drive. Yes I know there can be issues finding a USB flash drive that works, but I have one. I also use it to upgrade the firmware. Note: On the PV+600, any firmware below FRN 4 does not recognise USB flash drives. You have a CF card working so that's ok too. We have one for backup in case USB fails.

You can do as others have pointed out and find your PV's current FRN, create your MER at that FRN and reload it.

I prefer to keep the PV's firmware updated to the latest available. If you want to do this you can use the Firmware Upgrade Wizard(FUW) to create a firmware upgrade using your CF card or a USB flash drive. Backup/remove any existing application files from the PV first. You can open FUW from the default location: "Start\Rockwell Software\RSView Enterprise\Firmware Upgrade Wizard". In there you select the firmware upgrade file from the default location: "C:\Program Files\Rockwell Software\RSView Enterprise\FUPs". If you don't have it, download it from:

http://compatibility.rockwellautoma...ds.aspx?crumb=112&toggleState=&versions=51522

Select the revision that is compatible with your version of FTVS and save it to the "FUPs" folder as above.

In FUW choose the destination storage device for the upgrade files, your CF card. Store files in the root of the CF card. With the PV powered off, insert CF card and power up. It should start the upgrade automatically. When finished, reload your MER using the CF card again and there should be no version incompatibility issue.

G.
I appreciate with your help, your explain very clear, I will try according to your suggestion, but now I am waiting for that adapter.
Thanks a lot! Thanks

hello OKiePC,
I appreciate with your help.
I have trans. .mer file to pv+ according to your recommends. and wait for adapter to connect PLC and PV+.
I am here to thank you all very much again !!!!

hello Geospark,
I have trans. .mer file to pv+ according to your recommends. and wait for adapter to connect PLC and PV+.
I am here to thank you very much again !!!!

On the terminal : Application Settings/System Information/FTVME -> write down the firmware level.

Open up the application with FTVS ME and then, from the Menu bar, choose Application/Create Runtime Application; within the configuration applet choose the same level as the terminal firmware's first two digits (Example 5.0, 6.0 or 5.1); create the Runtime within the C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Documents\RSView Enterprise\ME\Runtime.
Go to location and Copy/Paste it within the CompactFlash [Root]:\Rockwell Software\RSViewME\Runtime folder.
Repeat the Copy from the CF to the terminal's Internal Memory.
hello dmargmeall,
I am here to thank you very much again !!!!

G.
Hello Geospark,
Thanks for your suggestion, I follow your, but I confuss something, pv serial 9-pin DCE to micrologix 8-pin (see your attach file) 2-4, 3-7, 5-2. only use 3 wires, how about other wire?
Thanks

The baud rate and error checking, as I described previously and you say you found, are on the Link tab for the RSLinx Enterprise driver. When you change these in the Destination half of the RSLinx Enterprise configuration, they will be changed when this *.MER file is downloaded to the PanelView terminal.

The PanelView Plus has a serial port that is a "DCE" type port.
Your computer, and the MicroLogix 1200, both have "DTE" type ports.

These are the "male and female" of the RS-232 world. When you connect a DCE port to a DTE port, you use a "straight through" serial cable.

Because both your computer and the PLC have DTE ports, when you connect them you use a "null modem" serial cable, in which the Transmit and Receive pins are swapped.

When you have a null modem type cable (1761-CBL-PM02 and 1747-CP3), you can add a Null Modem Adapter to swap the Tx/Rx pins back, effectively making it a straight through cable again.

You cannot download to the PanelView Plus for two reasons:

1. The 1747-CP3 cable, as described above, needs to have a Null Modem adapter added to it in order to connect to a PanelView Plus terminal.

2. FactoryTalk View Studio uses the drivers configured in the Design (Local) tab to perform downloads to the PanelView terminal. You do not have a serial driver configured in the Design tab.

This is intentional: unless you have multiple serial ports on your computer it is very difficult to run both RSLinx Classic and RSLinx Enterprise, and I chose to recommend that you not attempt it.

My recommendation was, and still is, to use a CompactFlash card to transfer the *.MER file from your computer to the PanelView Plus terminal.

Hello ken,
The company order a null modem adapter is DB9 rs232. see this web link http://ca.startech.com/Cables/Seria...erial-Null-Modem-Adapter-Male-to-Female~NM9MF, but I conected it on end of 1761-cbl-PM02 then to PV+, it Still not work. if this adaper is not correct, please take a little time to look.
I appreciate.

The 1761-CBL-PM02 cable plus a null-modem adapter is the correct physical connection between the PanelView Plus and a MicroLogix serial port.

Please check the configuration of the Runtime(Target) serial driver in RSLinx Enterprise and make sure it is set for COM Port 1.

Make a Display on the PV+ with a "Diagnostics List" object and see if there is any helpful information about the serial port.

As always, it would help if you were very specific about what you mean by "it still [does] not work".

The 1761-CBL-PM02 cable plus a null-modem adapter is the correct physical connection between the PanelView Plus and a MicroLogix serial port.

Please check the configuration of the Runtime(Target) serial driver in RSLinx Enterprise and make sure it is set for COM Port 1.

Make a Display on the PV+ with a "Diagnostics List" object and see if there is any helpful information about the serial port.

As always, it would help if you were very specific about what you mean by "it still [does] not work".
ok, it is commun. now.
I appreciate.
Thank u again

The cable you were attempting to make is an RS485 electrical wiring cable. The TXD, RXD & COM signals are all you need for DF1 or DH485 protocol. As I said, make the other cores safe.

If you have null modem & PM02 cable combination working ok, I would stick to that.

I would still be curious to know if the RS485 cable worked. We only make up our own cables as the PV is some distance away from the controller.

Did you upgrade the firmware on the PV before loading the MER?
It's always good to know how to do these things.

Please do let us know your final setup.

Can you tell us what changes you made that resulted in the devices correctly communicating ?
hello Ken,
Thank for your help! your suggestion are correct. my company bought a adapter, it didn't work because it didn't change end of 1761-CBL-PM02 to to DCE which is PV+ port, so I followed Geospark recommend to use another rs232 cable. one end of this cable connected to 1761-CBL-PM02's 9 pin end port, and changed another end of this rs232 cable like Geospark said that 4-2,7-3, 2-5, then connect this end to pv+. it works.
others, I followed your suggestions.
I am here to thank u again!!!!