PV1000 to Contrologix Mapping

sparky64

I want to add some information to a PV1000 that is setup as RIO and use Block Transfer, the block transfer files are N10, N11, N12 & N13. I don't have any experience with CLX and am really struggling with how the CLX tags are setup, my question is how do the Integer files that the PV is looking for, relate to the CLX tags, how are they mapped across.

Any help appreciated

Sparky

Not the most obvious

In the PanelBuilder file, in the block transfer setup, you will see that each transfer has a unique length. This is the only identifying information for the blocks of data.

To transfer to or from the block of N10 addresses in the PanelView, use a message set up for RIO block transfer in the CLX with a length equal to that set for the N10 block in the PV.

Sounds like this is an existing application and so the messages should already exist in the CLX. If you need to increase the size of any of the blocks, remember that they must all be of different lengths. You will also need to adjust the length in the CLX message instruction(s) and the size of the INT array(s) being used.

Thanks for the reply Gerry.

Yes, this is an existing application, that i want to add more information to, but i would like to fully understand how the mapping works.

I noticed that the block transfers all had different lengths, but thought that this was just a querk of the guy who set it all up. Is this only for clx? because i seem to remember that plc5 & slc block transfers can all have the same length.

Cheers
Sparky

No, this is not unique to the CLX.

When working with the PLC5, it is common practice to match the addresses between the PV & PLC - i.e. the N10 addresses in the PV reflect N10 in the PLC. It is important to understand that this is completely arbitrary on the programmer's part - the btx instructions in the PLC could just as easily map the PV's N10 to N50.

PLC5 btx's or CLX messages address group 0, slot 0 of the rack assigned to the PV. The PV only knows that it has received a read or a write btx and the length requested. It matches that with its configuration data to determine which block of addresses in its tag database to reference.

Whether PLC5 or CLX makes no difference - lengths must be unique for reads and writes. You can have a read and a write with the same length.

Look up block transfers in the PanelBuilder32 help file.