Q: GenAI and PLC programming - your experience?

@ All: what is your best guess on a potential range in increase in efficiency in % (i.e. saved programming hours, greater output, etc.) when applying AI for PLC programming? What are the most applicable applications? E.g. code generation, fault detection, etc... Thanks!!

PLC programming can be automated by an experienced human being who can think and reason and has the wisdom to understand the limits and what needs to be polished "by hand", but it is unlikely a field that can be replaced by a soulless algorithm.

Now, if you have a job that only requires talking to people via technology and mistakes are no big deal, I can see these advanced language models putting you out of work and rightfully so.

"Hey chatbot, write a program to operate this water plant."
"Hey Alexa, go feed the cows."
"Hey Siri, find out why the NC contacts on that actuator close position limit don't always seem to make a PLC input. Don't forget to padlock the hatch and leave the keys in the operators mailbox back at the maintenance shed when you're done."

Attachments

• heysiri.jpg
    heysiri.jpg
    366 KB · Views: 14
Everyone is over hyping AI. AI systems must be taught. They aren't magic. The real problem is just defining the problem. I don't see where AI will help there. I do think there will programs that can generate certain kinds of programs where the user/program can specify a few parameters and parts of the code can be generated but I doubt all the code will be generated. Just the repetitive "canned" solutions. For instance, a flying shear or cut off can be setup fairly quickly with a few parameters.

AI is not a real world, on site, in the trenches solution. Which everything automated is.

So my take on this is try it, but you will be wasting time on being stupid.

But then again, stupid is stupid, and you can't fix that. LOL