Quesions: OMRON and Mitsibushi

Berx

Hi fellow PLC folks,

I am quite new to the game of PLC's and have some simple questions (sorry if I am annoying anyone with my ignorance here) so here I go:

1.) What is the main difference between the OMRON "C" and "CV" series type PLC's?

2.) What are the software limitations and feature differences and..

3.) ..what other software besides SYSWIN is available for these PLC's?

4.) I have a CPM1 - is this a "C" Series PLC?

5.) I also have a mini Sysmac SP16 (the only software I found for this is the DOS-based miniLSS - is there also a Windows based software which supports this PLC?

6.) Furthermore, I also have a Mitsubishi Melsec FX - what software programming tools are available for this PLC?

I woud really appreciate your answers and comments and thank you in advance.

Have a great day.

Kind regards,
Berx :)

Last edited:
6.) GX Developer or GX IEC Developer are the two common softwares. Both are to be replaced by GX Works2 which is a merge between the two older types.
In my opinion GX IEC is the best!

Hi fellow PLC folks,

I am quite new to the game of PLC's and have some simple questions (sorry if I am annoying anyone with my ignorance here) so here I go:

1.) What is the main difference between the OMRON "C" and "CV" series type PLC's?

2.) What are the software limitations and feature differences and..

The C Series is on of the older lines, the CV is newer and has more support for Binary as opposed to BCD the C Series used, and Floating Point support. it also divided up the Counter and Timer Memory areas. It has a more rich Instruction Set, and better Memory.

You should be using CX-Programmer most likely as part of the CX-One Package. Latest I have seen is CX-Programmer V9 and is part of CX-One V3.

No, it is not.

5.) I also have a mini Sysmac SP16 (the only software I found for this is the DOS-based miniLSS - is there also a Windows based software which supports this PLC?

Can't help you with that one.

6.) Furthermore, I also have a Mitsubishi Melsec FX - what software programming tools are available for this PLC?

Answered by Electrical_Geek

I woud really appreciate your answers and comments and thank you in advance.

Stu.....

Have a great day.

Kind regards,
Berx :)

Thanks, you guys are really great!

...and where can I downlaod a demo version of this "GX IEC" software please?

Thanks a lot!

Are you quite sure the Sysmac CPM1 is not a "C" Series PLC?

... and is there also a demo version available for the
CX-Programmer software so that I can check it out?

Look fwd to your reply.
Thanks

You should be using CX-Programmer most likely as part of the CX-One Package. Latest I have seen is CX-Programmer V9 and is part of CX-One V3.

No, it is not.

Thanks, you guys are really great!

...and where can I downlaod a demo version of this "GX IEC" software please?

Well, in case you haven't noticed, all the Omron PLC Model numbers start with C. It is selected seperately on CX-Programmer, and has different features than the C200 Series, but you certainly don't have to take my word for it.

I am not aware of anywhere that you can Download a Demo Version. Perhaps someone else knows of one. I have found Omron pretty reasonable on their pricing, it might be useful to contact your local Omron Rep. They might give you a copy of an old version of CX-Programmer to experiment with.

Stu....

Last edited:
Thanks - I installed the demo. I am now just in need of some basic example programs, any idea where I could get some from?

Kind regards,
Berx

Last edited:
Thanks - there is really a great amount of information there on this site, I'm impressed!

Will buy you a beeer the next time I go to Sweden. Thanks again!

Kind regards from Mannheim-Germany,
Berx

Sure - I'd gladly make that two beers if you could advise me about a cable for my FX-24MR PLC. (What series of Melsec is this, by the way?)

I am not shy to use my soldering iron and also have the hardware waiting already...

Now from what I have found on the www so far, the PLC also makes use of straight RS-232 on that 25 pole D-Sub female port. Pinout as follows, on pins:
15 is RX,
16 is TX and
6,7 and 20 are GND
Pin 21 (RXD enable) is shorted to GND

These go to the 9 pole D-sub as follows:
RX to TX - pin 2
TX to RX - pin 3
GND to GND - pin 5

Can this be verified by an FX experienced person here?

Would be greatly appreciated - in advance thanx.

Greets,
Berx

Thanks for your help.

The numbers are not easy to read in the diagram, however, I did gather that the data output is via the serial RS-422 and then it gets "castrated" into a RS-232 interface in the adapter. Is that electronically legitimate like that?

Anyhow, thanks again, I will see if it works - or perhaps look around a bit more for an alternate solution.

Cheers,
Berx

Melsec FX - Category, need help - PLEASE!

Hello again fellow PLC people,

Ok, I think the better alternative is to simply buy one from E-bay for 13 Euro, I am not sure this cheap SC-09 will work, but for that price, its worth a try, so I am waiting for it to get here now.

In the meantime I have a big question concerning my Mitubishi Melsec FX-24MR:

What category of Melsec PLC`s does this PLC type fit into?

When I open the GX Developer software and open a "New Project" and try to select a "PLC Type" of FXCPU under "PLC series", I get the following PLC types:

FX0(S)
FX0N
FX1
FX1S
FX1N(C)
FXU/FX2C
FX2N(C)
FX3UC

Would the correct selection be FX1?

I am confused - this seems to be a series that was released just before all of these models, is that right?

What module extensions can be used with my Melsec FX-24MR?

I would really appreciate any help or comments.

Thanks.

Regards,
Berx