Quesions: OMRON and Mitsibushi

Berx if you choose the wrong PLC type the software recognises this and asks you. "Do you want to change to *****". Just OK the command and the PLC type will be set for you. I think though you will be doing right by opting for F1.
Regards Badger.

I would also like to add that if you are new to Mitsubishi PLC's and Ladder Logic you may find GX IEC Developer a little harder to comprehend than if it were GX Developer which in essence is far easier to grasp IMHO. Once you have a working knowledge of GPPW. IEC will be a little less daunting. Good luck

Thank you very much, Badger, I really appreciate your kind advice.

Will go with your recommendations, once the SC-09 cable arrives I will get going with the GX Developer!

My Melsec has a 25 pole D-Sub female connector and not the 8 pin round Min-Din socket.

What about the serial number - will this help to identify my unit type?
I am also lookong for a manual but even Mitsubishi don't list this series.

I suspect it came our just after the "F" PLC series.

Anyhow, thanks again and have a great day!

Last edited:
The SC09 has a 25 pin to mini din adapter. Just unplug the adapter and plug the 25pin straight into the PLC. Your PLC in essence is an FX. If you download the FX manual it will pretty much be the same info' that you need for your older PLC. at least the programming structure and most of the basic commands will be the same. Don't worry about your serial number. Regards Badger

Ok Badger, can't wait for that SC-09 adapter to arrive from the Far-East.
My plan is eventually to connect up my ST400 Pro-face HMI unit, it also incorporates an RS-422 interface, so a cable shouldn't pose a big problem here.
Furthermore, I hope to find an analog-input expansion module for my FX, I want to control and display the speed of a motor by means of a bargraph and a few buttons, like RUN, STOP, SPEED+ and SPEED-.
Hopefully this is not going to take too long.
... so any further help or advice will be highly appreciated - thanks.
Have a nice evening further.
Regards,
Berx.

Berx my friend if you have a proface programming cable you will not need an SC09. When the proface is connected to the Mitzi, the software is able to read the Mitzi through the proface, providing the proface is in transparent/outside mode. although you may need the SC09 on other projects that do not require HMI. Regards Badger

Last edited:
Hi Badger, thanks for that, but huh...?
Don't I need the SC09 cable to first program the FX?
Is it not so that I need to first transfer the program from the GX Developer software and then connect up to the Pro-face HMI?

Or can I do everything with the Proface GP/PRO PB III software?
If so, then I would be delighted!

Please help on this one, as you can see, I am a total beginner.

Best regards,
Berx

You can do everything to the PLC with GX developer plugged into the proface provided the HMI is connected to the Mitzi with the proface lead. As I said earlier the Proface will have to be left in Transparent mode You will still need Gx software GP/PRO will be needed to programme the HMI.

Hi Badger and anyone else who could help me out here,
thanks for that, Badger, its new to me that its possible to connect to the Pro-face HMI this way..
Now, I need to make the cable to connect up the Pro-face ST400 to the Melsec FX.

Has anyone here done this?
The pinout on the Pro-Face 9 pole male connector is as follows:
Pin
1 RDA
2 RDB
3 SDA
7 SDB
8 CSA
6 CSB
4 ERA
9 ERB
5 SG

The Melsec FX has the 25 pole female connector are:
Pin
2 TXD+
15 TXD-
3 RXD+
16 RXD-
4 RTS+
17 RTS-
5 CTS+
18 CTS-
7,8,20 and 21 are GND and connected together.

I assume the cable is to be as follows:

9 pole female D-Sub to Pro-face ST400 <> 25 pole D-Sub Male to Melsec FX
RDA 1 <--------------------------------------- 2 TXD+
RDB 2 <--------------------------------------- 15 TXD-
SDA 3 ---------------------------------------> 3 RXD+
SDB 7 ---------------------------------------> 16 RXD-
CSA 8 <--------------------------------------- 4 RTS+
CSB 6 <--------------------------------------- 17 RTS-
ERA 4 ---------------------------------------> 5 CTS+
ERB 9 ---------------------------------------> 18 CTS-
SG 5 <--------------------------------------> 7,8,20 and 21

According to Proface, there should also be terminating resistors (330 Ohms) between:
RDA and RDB
SDA and SDB
TXD+ and TXD-
RXD+ and RXD-

Can anyone verify if this?
I don't want to experiment and blow the communication port - I much prefer to wait for confirmation first.
Thanks a lot for any comments.
Regards,
Berx

Last edited:
According to Proface, there should also be terminating resistors (330 Ohms) between:
RDA and RDB
SDA and SDB
TXD+ and TXD-
RXD+ and RXD-
If Proface say that this is what you need to connect, then I would trust it will be correct. You could contact them and ask for the price of said cable. I dont know the cost but sometimes it is worth paying rather than "blow the communications port" as you put it.

Hi Badger and everyone who may be following up this thread,

I have contacted Pro-face here in Germany and they are busy trying to help me out with my questions - it seems this Melsec FX series was not very common and the original documentation is not available on the www.

Anyhow, since I am not able to talk to the PLC yet, neither via SC09 nor via Pro-face HMI cable, I will have to hold my horses for another while yet.

If I may, I will get back to you with some more questions then.

Have a great weekend everyone!

Kind Regards,
Berx