Question about Versions of RSLogix 500

snewman24

I'm confused about the difference between RSLogix 500 Starter and RSLogix 500 Standard. I've read on the internet (here?) that the only difference is Standard has online editing and Starter doesn't. But when I try to verify this on Rockwell's website, it just says that Starter "provides the basic functionality of the full-featured version with some of the advanced features disabled." without going into details. Also, it's not clear to me whether Starter will work on a SLC500, or only on Micrologix. Doesn't anybody know for sure? Thanks.

Steve in Omaha

It should work on both, but I have professional so I am not sure. It probably just refers to things like online editing, vba, opc, etc.

Have you called the tech group at CED? Mark is always happy to answer questions like this.

By the way, where do you work?

I am associated with an engineering company in Lincoln and live in Omaha.

David

RSLogix500 Starter supports offline editing of all of the SLC/MicroLogix PLC's. The latest version (7.0), does support online editing of the new MicroLogix1100 only.

There a quite a few differences, only minor but they can be a pain. ie starter version does not have a used/data view in the data tables.
The info is somewhere on the aB website but if I can remember correctly there is a thread on this forum a few months ago listing all the differences. Regards Alan Case

Thanks for the responses

[Previously by davidg68124]
Have you called the tech group at CED? Mark is always happy to answer questions like this.

>>I'll write that name down for future use.

By the way, where do you work?

>>I'm just a student at Metro C.C. finishing up a double major in Industrial Maintenance & Electrical Technology.

I went back to a thread on Aug. 2, 2005 and found a Product Comparison Matrix posted by Eric Nelson that spells out the differences in versions - very, very helpful. I looked & looked previously on their website and couldn't find anything like that. (Thanks Eric!).

Steve

I work for a place called Engineering Innovations. WE are going through a name change to Summit Industrial Partners soon. The owner's wife died, so we need to reinvent the corporation now.

If you ever need some help, give me a call(990-5311). I have been doing this for years in this area, so I know a few people. CED's number is 592-7500. Ask for the Tech group and then in the system go to Mark McGuiness. He can answer simple questions like that. In fact, when you get into the industry in this area, you will deal mostly with AB around here, so CED is the place to call.

What are your goals? What, if any experience do you have? Do you want to stay in this area? I might have a place for a tech sometime soon.

David

Last edited: