Question for the Redlion Crimson guru's

STL???

Hi,
I need a method of logging test failure values using a G308/310 connecting to a mitsubishi Q series plc.

Basically i want to log the failure value of 3 tests cyclically, i have configured an alarm based on the test value and then used alarm 1/2 to add the text "out of band",but ideally i need to display the failed value and then log the message for later analysis.

If this isnt possible, could this be achieved with a popup screen? and then use another tag to trigger the test value entry into the log?

thanks Steve

One option would be to enable data logging and set it to Triggered Snapshot (rather than Continuous), then use your test failed bit to trigger the log. If you had a Compactflash card installed it can record the data to a CSV file to be analyzed later on a PC.

Hello,

Another option you can use is the Event Logger. You can access this in the Data Tags section, under the Logging tab. This will log any alarm or event to the compact flash card. The log will include all the data you need for your application.

Thanks
Jeremy

The above answers will both work but i dont think they will add your text "out of band" (although i may be wrong!) i would add antoher trigger to set another alarm to display an "out of band alarm" for this.

Or you could use the initial alarm to invoke a program that would do all of the above. The G3 is good in that it has many ways to do things !

504bloke said:
The above answers will both work but i dont think they will add your text "out of band" (although i may be wrong!) i would add antoher trigger to set another alarm to display an "out of band alarm" for this.

Or you could use the initial alarm to invoke a program that would do all of the above. The G3 is good in that it has many ways to do things !

Actually the text is included with the event alarm. I have attached an image as an example of what you would see in the log.

Thanks
Jeremy

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies,

I don't have a panel at the moment so i created an internal tag and ran the simulator using a numeric field to trigger the alarms.

"var1" type Real
label text "Test value"
Alarm1 "Absolute High" value 100
Alarm2 "Absolute Low" value 25

Which gives me error text
Alarm1 "Test value too low"
Alarm2 "Test value too high"

Is it possible to create "Test value = xxxx value too low" and then log the low or high value?

I like the idea of a message box with an ack button which would trigger logging of the "var1" tag is this possible?

STL??? said:
Is it possible to create "Test value = xxxx value too low" and then log the low or high value?
Sorry but this isn't possible with the event logger. To log the value you would need to use the standard data logger or create your own as suggested by the other members.

STL??? said:
I like the idea of a message box with an ack button which would trigger logging of the "var1" tag is this possible?

If I understand your request correctly I would suggest triggering a log from your "ack" button.

JeremyH said:
Actually the text is included with the event alarm. I have attached an image as an example of what you would see in the log.

Thanks
Jeremy

My mistake, (And i may still be wrong) i meant to say the "Failed Value" wont be displayed ?

Thats the trouble with having a few reds after work and surfing on plc's.net !!

STL??? said:
Thanks for the replies,

I don't have a panel at the moment so i created an internal tag and ran the simulator using a numeric field to trigger the alarms.

"var1" type Real
label text "Test value"
Alarm1 "Absolute High" value 100
Alarm2 "Absolute Low" value 25

Which gives me error text
Alarm1 "Test value too low"
Alarm2 "Test value too high"

Not sure what you want here, is it the text

"Test value = xxxx value too low" where xxxx is a variable inserted (ie var1) into the text ?

Hi Dave,
Yes thats what i would have liked to achieve, Still playing around with the software at the moment and reading the manual while i wait for my screen to arrive.

I've been through the archives on here and i know your a big fan of the G3 terminals and i can see why, very powerful product for the money.

Excellent product, doing a job with an SSD 10" (rebadged Redlion G310) at the moment with firewire comms talking to five SSD 890 drives and an S7 PLC on one of the other ports.

Just playing in Crimson as i have added integers to strings before for sending texts out from a pump station, its not final or tested but would give you an idea, whilst you cannot put the text (i believe) into an alarm text you could pop it up on the screen with an acknowlegde button and im sure you could log this to the CF card

Take a look, like i said, not tested and rough round the edges, youll need to play with the figures in the dectotext command in the program section. You can also add a date and time stamp to the text string as well using another trigger to grab the time and convert to a string when the alarm happens.

STL??? said:
Hi Dave,
Yes thats what i would have liked to achieve, Still playing around with the software at the moment and reading the manual while i wait for my screen to arrive.

I've been through the archives on here and i know your a big fan of the G3 terminals and i can see why, very powerful product for the money.

Last edited:
This should give you an idea for time and date stamps within the string you wish to create. Its done within the tag rather than in the program this time. Also has a further time/date stamp for when the operator accepts the alarm (if you wish the alarm to be a manual accept etc)

Again untested, but was taken from a working program.

Last edited: