Questions to ask before awarding a project to a integrator

Rob S.

Good Morning ,

We are getting ready to launch a fairly large automation project. I have 3 robot integrators that submitted proposals.
I am now in the process of evaluating these integrators. I plan on interviewing their former clients , to discuss with them the reasons why they choose these companies , and are they pleased with the automation that they did.

I am sure that many of you have been down this road. Could you possibly list a few questions that would be wise to ask
these integrators.

Thanks in advance,

ROB, My 2 cents:
1)Integrator´s knowledge of the equipment to be mounted, Past related jobs.
2)How long is going to take commissioning
3)Traning for operators and engineers of your plant.
4)Support.

What contingencies are in place if the project was to go awry? ie. Will you be financially compensated if the project doesn't come in on time or the integrator cannot get the automation to work correctly.

;-)

Get the resume's of the staff they intend to put on the project. Ensure that they are trained (and certified if applicable) in the technologies that you are using.

Major part for me is support.

From references you can find out if there were any problems afterwards (major or minor or system tweaks) - response time to initial call, feedback, time to fix problem, quality of fix, warranty items, non-spared parts availability.

If 24x7 what is after hours service like, response time, etc. Last thing you want is to be down over holiday weekend from Friday 8PM until Monday 6AM as no-one can get any non-spared parts for your system.

- Will they be dumb enough to give you a list of bad reference?
- There 24/7 service could represent the fact that there systems are often down and they do not have a good alarm... indication sets of rung/HMI programming (a good system should tell you what is wrong now).

- Will you have in-house "quality" people taking over after there gone?
- Will you go for the lowest bidder.. is this what you mostly do?
- BBB
- Call the equipment supplyer (robots?) and ask them about these guys, if they are any good, they will be known.
- Get your tecky to talk with them informaly... they should connect. This is one major thing.
- Some integrators are very good in sales... and unfortunately thats about it.

I believe you posted recently about vision sensors. Will the robots need to interface with the Vision systems? If so do the integrators have experience with your preferred vision mfr.?
Do the robots need to interface with any of your existing equipment, if so do they have exp with these(or similiar) machines?

Last edited:
Make sure you ask if you own the code or if they do. I will not hire anyone that passwords protects or locks any of the code. Too much of a chance for time bombs or for them to cover up bad programming.

Thanks for all your responses. About the Vision Cameras. They are involved in a separate ,small inhouse project. There may be a need in this automation project , not yet sure.