Read data from controlnet on ethernet

raul_vaze

We have 3 control logix(7 slot) racks . Configuration is as follows
Rack 1: P/S , CPU(L61),1756-enbt,1756-cnbr
Rack 2: P/S , 1756-cnbr , DI , DI
Rack 3: P/S , 1756-cnbr , 1756-dnb

1756-DNB will read the data from devices connected on device net.
I need to read all the data from device net and also from Digital input modules .
I have RSlogix5000 v 17 installed in my laptop and also rslinx is running . I need to see all the modules in rslinx on ethernet only as i dont have any other way . No other card for communicating on control net is installed on my laptop .

Can anybody please help me ????

Hi Raul,

If you need to read data from a Devicenet network, from an ethernet network, such as Modbus TCP or Ethernet/IP - then a gateway might be what you need.
There are several vendors out there. HMS has a good one, check it out at:
http://www.anybus.com/support/support.asp?PID=117&ProdType=Anybus X-gateway

Best regards

Pudden

Hi Pudden ,

Thanks for reply . Actually i want to read the data in the same controller which i mentioned in rack1 . Or i will put as to how can i configure controlnet in rsnetworkx . I do not have any card installed in my laptop

Assuming you have all the I/O devices (including the remote chassis) installed in the I/O Configuration area of the project "tree", then all the data tags for the I/O will be in the controller's tag database. This is the way ControlLogix works.

If you have not put the I/O modules in the I/O configuration the controller will not talk to them and get or put their data.

If you need help how to put the remote I/O modules into the configuration, post back.

Another thing, as you are using ControlNet for your remote I/O, you will need RSNetworks for ControlNet to "Schedule" the network, or it won't work.

Assuming you have all the I/O devices (including the remote chassis) installed in the I/O Configuration area of the project "tree", then all the data tags for the I/O will be in the controller's tag database. This is the way ControlLogix works.

If you have not put the I/O modules in the I/O configuration the controller will not talk to them and get or put their data.

If you need help how to put the remote I/O modules into the configuration, post back.

Another thing, as you are using ControlNet for your remote I/O, you will need RSNetworks for ControlNet to "Schedule" the network, or it won't work.

Hi daba ,

Thanks for your reply . As i have 1756-DNB in my remote rack and many devicenet devices are connected to it , i am confused as to how i will take the data from those device net devices into my controller . Pls reply

Let's break this down here.........

If you want the Controller (L61) to communicate with the devices on DeviceNet then you need to add the Local CNET (rack #1), Remote CNET (rack #3), Remote Digital I/O modules, and Remote 1756-DNB module to the I/O Configuration. You must use RSNetWorx for DeviceNet to map the data from the DeviceNet devices to the DeviceNet module. You must also use RSNetWorx for ControlNet to schedule the data connection over the ControlNet network. All of the data will be mapped into the Controller Tags in the L61.

If you are simply trying to browse from your PC using RSLinx to see the devices on DeviceNet then you already have what you need.

Create an Ethernet driver so you can see the local chassis. Browse through the local Ethernet until you see the local ControlNet module. Browse through this module and you will see the remote ControlNet chassis. Browse through the remote ControlNet module and you will see all modules in the remote chassis, including the DeviceNet module. Browse through the remote DeviceNet module and you will see the devices on the DeviceNet network.

OG

Let's break this down here.........

If you want the Controller (L61) to communicate with the devices on DeviceNet then you need to add the Local CNET (rack #1), Remote CNET (rack #3), Remote Digital I/O modules, and Remote 1756-DNB module to the I/O Configuration. You must use RSNetWorx for DeviceNet to map the data from the DeviceNet devices to the DeviceNet module. You must also use RSNetWorx for ControlNet to schedule the data connection over the ControlNet network. All of the data will be mapped into the Controller Tags in the L61.

If you are simply trying to browse from your PC using RSLinx to see the devices on DeviceNet then you already have what you need.

Create an Ethernet driver so you can see the local chassis. Browse through the local Ethernet until you see the local ControlNet module. Browse through this module and you will see the remote ControlNet chassis. Browse through the remote ControlNet module and you will see all modules in the remote chassis, including the DeviceNet module. Browse through the remote DeviceNet module and you will see the devices on the DeviceNet network.

OG

Hi OG ,

Thanks for your reply . Really helped me a lot . One small query i still have ??? Do i need to go ahead with produced/cosumed tags or i need to use MESSAGE instruction.

You will use the Produce/Consume and Message only when you are communicating from one controller (like the L61) to another controller. By adding the I/O modules to your I/O configuration, all of your data will reside in tags in the controller.

See the example below of the I/O Configuration.

OG

IO_Config.JPG