Read PLC data from Ovation DCS

MartyMaucher

Trying to set up a Logix 5000 L73 controller so the customer's Ovation DCS can read some analog and digital values at specific addresses. I think this involves CIP data, and I see several example of 2 PLCs talking to each other by external controller tag names.

But, I'm not sure how to make available controller tag values at a specific address (Example: customer wants to read bits at N7:200-209).

Is this a common task... any examples out there? Thanks.

I've worked on the Logix side of this, we just place the data into tags (e.g. SamplePLCData[X]) and I believe the Ovation pulls from the Logix PLC. I haven't dealt with the Ovation side of it, so I can't really comment on it, but as far as the Logix is concerned, it's been pretty simple in my experience.

In my application, we were using MSG instructions. So the DCS would write into one ControlLogix ("Integrator" PLC) in the addresses SamplePLCData[59]-SamplePLCData[74] (for example) which would then write to a ControlLogix on the plant floor in addresses PlantPLCData[0]-PlantPLCData[15] and control the process. The Integrator would then read data from the plant PLC and place it into SamplePLCData[75]-SamplePLCData[78] which would then be read by the Ovation. Long story short is that you can name the tags whatever you want as long as the DCS is configured to look at the correct tags. I assume in your case that it would be N7[200]-[209], instead of SamplePLCData[200]-[209] in my case.