Read Tags from AB PLC using Netbiter with EtherNet/IP - Class, Instance, Attribute

One more thing. You ask:

To (8{)} ( .)
Even if i were to write a message instruction that WRITES to the netbiter, i wouldn't have any idea what to put for the parameters for services like table write or cip generic. The netbiter does not give me any type of address register table.[/QUOTE]

The manufacturer should publish where EIP data goes in the controller memory. There should be a specific area designated for this.

Good Luck,

Yosi

Hi all,

I work at HMS as the Product Owner of the EC300 series Netbiter products. First I want to say that this is our first version with EtherNet/IP support, and we are constantly looking on how to improve our EtherNet/IP support in future releases, therefore your feedback is very valuable for us.

Thank you for letting us know that our manuals are unclear. We are currently updating them to have more clear information regarding the EtherNet/IP support.

In the current Netbiter software version (1.3.4) we are UCMM client only, with support for the following services:
Get_Attribute_Sinle and Set_Attribute_Single.
So this first version of EtherNet/IP is currently aimed to fetch data from simple devices, like an I/O module or Inverter/Drive.

We have evaluated if we should add the read/write tag service to be able to read data from PLC systems, but we decided not to at the moment. The reason is that the read/write tag services are not in the EtherNet/IP specifications and will only work with some PLC systems.

We are currently looking into if Adapter mode should be a better solution. If you already have a PLC in the system, I think it would make more sense to let the Netbiter act as an Adapter in the system. We would then add some predefined objects in the Netbiter, which the PLC system could read and write to? What do you think about this? Would this be a good solution? Or would you prefer the read/write tag services instead?

Do you see some more things to improve on EtherNet/IP in future releases? Please let me know.

Support for reading and writing controller tags now added to the Netbiter

Hi All,

We have added support for the following services on EtherNet/IP:

Read Tag Service(0x4C)
Write Tag Service(0x4D)

This means that it is now possible to read and write controller tags to ControlLogix and CompactLogix PLC:s.

Please check our manuals for more information regarding this feature. This feature has been added in our latest Netbiter firmware v1.4.8.

For the MicroLogix PLC:s, you could use Modbus TCP to read/write data.

Best regards
Netbiter Team

Hi All, especially HMS_Netbiter,

It has been 3 1/2 years since this thread was updated, so I am hoping someone is still listening to it....

My question is I have a Netbiter EC310, and I have it connected to an Allen-Bradley SLC 5/05 PLC, via the Ethernet port.

But the Netbiter doesn't allow me to set symbol tag name of N151:1 (the tag address in the PLC, as it says that the " : " is an unsupported Ethernet IP format.

So what is the acceptable Ethernet IP format for the Netbiter to see the SLC's data tags?

Regards,
Marc

I have only experience with the communicator and in that one you have to set it up as a module from the PLC side. The Netbiter doesn't work like that? produce and consume tags perhaps? I couldn't find a good manual on the EC310 online.

Hi rdlackey,

Thanks for your response.

Unfortunately Allen-Bradley SLC PLCs don't support the Produce/Consume tags, as that type of tags came with the later PLC ranges (ControlLogix / Compactlogix).

Netbiter EC310s can communicate with those later PLC ranges, and we have several sites doing so.

However our older sites have the SLC PLCs, which use data-tables, for tag addresses rather than tag-names.

Sadly, it doesn't look that Netbiter <-> SLC PLC is an option. :( :( :(