Reading registers in AB PLC without RSlinx

bradal

Hello All,

I am trying to find a way to receive information from a PLC without using RSlinx. If I am talking serially, can I write an application, download a driver etc. etc. that will allow me to read or write to the PLC.

As well, if I had a SLC 5/05 or a new compactlogix with ethernet, could I have access to data in the PLC without RSlinx.

Thank you very much in advance

Allan Bradley

There are a number of driver programs out there that can talk DF1. RSLinx is basically just another driver. If you have an MMI, I'm surprised they dont offer a suitable one. For third party drivers, I've always liked kepware.

You can indeed write your own driver if you know how to do such things. I have a copy of a manual on the DF1 protocol, so it can't be too hard to get ahold of.

-jeff

As for the ethernet side, what would the "protocol" be. In rslinx it is just set-up as "ethernet devices", is there an underlying AB protocal there?

Hey Mr Archie,

I'm using now the ABDF1 protocol, You're link was very helpful for me.
I want to know if I can get the program whith is existed already in my SLC5/03 via this software (ABDF1).

Thank you.

I'm using now the ABDF1 protocol, You're link was very helpful for me.
I want to know if I can get the program whith is existed already in my SLC5/03 via this software (ABDF1).
The AB Utilities program can upload and download the program from the PLC, but it is not in RSLogix format. It saves it in a text file only.