Recipe storage in SQL database

Yes, that is a good point - I have noted that in my pitch to the client, that having the hardware solution would prevent the loss of data, and I think they're leaning that way. The only thing is that the card costs over twice what the software costs (!) and if they were to do it properly they would need to set up a CLX chassis central to all the production lines to act as a data concentrator. This ends up making the hardware solution significantly more expensive, so it'll likely come down to whether the bean counters can be convinced the extra data security is worth the extra cost...

...The only thing is that the card costs over twice what the software costs (!) and if they were to do it properly they would need to set up a CLX chassis central to all the production lines to act as a data concentrator. This ends up making the hardware solution significantly more expensive, so it'll likely come down to whether the bean counters can be convinced the extra data security is worth the extra cost...

We found this to be the case when we first evaluated the oldi module 5-6 years ago. Seemed to be a capable device, but hard to justify and find a place for it. Depends on how critical the data really is. Ignition will buffer data records in the event of a database disconnect as well, probably not as many records as the oldi but the functionality is there.

Last edited:
Yeah, the ignition can buffer as well - the difference for me is that it's more critical that the PLC has the data than the SQL server. So if the link goes down, I'd prefer to be buffering it at the PLC end than the SQL end.

Just an update for anyone who's interested. I ended up going with the Oldi in-chassis module, and I have to say I'm impressed. With a quick start guide I had data transfer happening in both directions in under an hour. Very, very user friendly.

My only two criticisms would be:

I have been completely unable to find a comprehensive manual. The quick start guide got me moving, and the software's error messages are very good about directing you to the cause of the error quite clearly - but as for "how do I do this or that?" questions, I ended up having to search the knowledge base for individual powerpoint slideshows and the occasional PDF, or email tech support. Over here, that means waiting overnight between each question and answer. Not terribly helpful.

Secondly, it can't write from SQL to an arrayed UDT. So I have a UDT for my recipe structure like this:
Code:
Name STRING
ProductCode STRING
Conv1Speed REAL
Conv2Speed REAL
And I would have like to just create an array of that UDT, and load the recipes into it. No dice. I had to create a UDT with the individual elements arrays, like this:
Code:
Name STRING[100]
ProductCode STRING[100]
Conv1Speed REAL[100]
Conv2Speed REAL[100]
And then extract the recipe data manually into a non-arrayed UDT. That's painful for a lot of reasons.

But those gripes aside, very impressed with the unit. Works as advertised, quickly and easily.

Thanks for the advice everyone, it was much quicker and less painful that I could have hoped!

Oh, and perhaps I have a third criticism after all...
The module is around the 5K mark but it can be used in a Data concentrator and service many process lines for recipe usage and data collection. On the data collection it can parse about 500 tags per second.
Ahaha. I'm not sure what sort of cost shipping it from Mother America to us old British Colonies adds to the price, but it sure as hell cost more than $5K. You could double that and still have a four figure shortfall. 🍑