FTV ME: Transfer recipe data to/from external storage

RuMo

I am investigating the pros and cons of different recipe systems for use in the new HMI template at my work. Right now the recipe data is stored in PLC tags, but it seems like a better solution to handle recipes in the HMI.
Mainly I have been looking into RecipePlus and Recipe 2 Enhanced ActiveX Control. RecipePlus seems to be more embedded in the project file but with its own data type (.RPP), where Recipe 2 Enhanced is an ActiveX control and therefor seems like the less safe choice so to speak. On the other hand Recipe 2 Enhanced stores the recipe data in .csv files making them more accessible.

As we have been storing the recipe data in PLC tags, there have been situations where the data was lost. Therefor our clients have been requesting a backup feature. And so an important factor in determining which solution I will be going forward with, is if it possible to transfer a backup recipe file to/from an external memory storage such as a USB stick.

So to sum up: How can I transfer recipe data to/from external memory storage such as a USB stick?
And also any input on pros and cons regarding RecipePlus and Recipe 2 Enhanced ActiveX Control would be highly appreciated. 🍻

Thanks for your reply!

I have read the threads you linked and they have been helpful regarding my pros and cons list, so thank you.

However in the first thread the issue is to transfer files from the internal memory of a PV+ to an external media which I have found several solutions to. It is an important part of what I want to be able to do, but the other part which is to import recipe files back into the internal memory of the PV+ and use these imported files in runtime, is the one thing I haven't found any information about. I could of course store the recipe files permanently on the USB stick, but that wouldn't be much of a back up.

The second thread seemed very promising at first glance as the question is very close to the one I am asking and one solution involves VBA, which is great because I have just completed a similar project on our Siemens TIA platform where I have gotten familiar with VBScript. Unfortunately in the thread they are using FTView SE on a PC based system and I am using FTView ME and PV+, so I believe the solutions they discuss in this thread would require me to also make my own ActiveX control which should be installed on every panel where I use the recipe system, but please correct me if I am wrong.

So again to sum up:
What recipe system would allow me to transfer a copy of a recipe file to an external media and also transfer it back into the internal memory, overwriting the existing file, making it work as a back up?

Thanks for your reply!

I have read the threads you linked and they have been helpful regarding my pros and cons list, so thank you.

However in the first thread the issue is to transfer files from the internal memory of a PV+ to an external media which I have found several solutions to. It is an important part of what I want to be able to do, but the other part which is to import recipe files back into the internal memory of the PV+ and use these imported files in runtime, is the one thing I haven't found any information about. I could of course store the recipe files permanently on the USB stick, but that wouldn't be much of a back up.

The second thread seemed very promising at first glance as the question is very close to the one I am asking and one solution involves VBA, which is great because I have just completed a similar project on our Siemens TIA platform where I have gotten familiar with VBScript. Unfortunately in the thread they are using FTView SE on a PC based system and I am using FTView ME and PV+, so I believe the solutions they discuss in this thread would require me to also make my own ActiveX control which should be installed on every panel where I use the recipe system, but please correct me if I am wrong.

So again to sum up:
What recipe system would allow me to transfer a copy of a recipe file to an external media and also transfer it back into the internal memory, overwriting the existing file, making it work as a back up?

Interested in this question, same problem with the recipe values manage, i need to import from a USB/SDCARD not only export (which seems easier), i dont know if it is possible to import the recipe values to PV.

In Siemens PCS 7, you can import recipe values from a USB or SD card into the process variables (PV) using a function block, such as the DB_IMPORT function block. The DB_IMPORT function block allows you to import data from a data block (DB) stored in a file on a USB or SD card and assign the values to the process variables (PVs) in your program.

Here's an example of how to use the DB_IMPORT function block:

1) Create a data block (DB) in your program to store the recipe values.

2) Save the data block to a file on a USB or SD card.

3) In your program, add a DB_IMPORT function block and configure it to import the data from the file on the USB or SD card.

4) Connect the inputs of the DB_IMPORT function block to the PVs you want to update with the recipe values.

5) In your program, call the DB_IMPORT function block when you want to import the recipe values into the PVs.

Keep in mind that the specific steps for importing recipe values into PVs will vary depending on the version and configuration of your PCS 7 system, so you may need to consult the documentation or contact Siemens for more information and assistance.

In general, importing recipe values into PVs is a straightforward process that can be achieved by using the appropriate function blocks and tools in Siemens PCS 7.

As we have been storing the recipe data in PLC tags, there have been situations where the data was lost. Therefor our clients have been requesting a backup feature.

FactoryTalk Asset Centre

We set ours to auto-backup so we have have everything in one PLC file. If recipes were on the panelview, you'd have to set it to auto backup the panelview as well.

We've seen if saving this manually was required, it would be forgotten and the data lost regardless.