Red Lion Crimson 3, Updating database from USB stick.

Elcan,

I just tested this again and it is working.

If you update from the USB stick, the next update from USB stick must be a file with a new identifier and the previously loaded file must have Memory stick support and updates enabled. Your file will receive a new identifier by being a completely new file. Meaning you went to File > New to create this file or if you are making changes to an existing file you need to first go choose File > Save As which will prompt you to assign a new identifier. After choosing yes you can then save your image and load the file via memory stick.

Thanks
Jeremy

Elcan,

I just tested this again and it is working.

If you update from the USB stick, the next update from USB stick must be a file with a new identifier and the previously loaded file must have Memory stick support and updates enabled. Your file will receive a new identifier by being a completely new file. Meaning you went to File > New to create this file or if you are making changes to an existing file you need to first go choose File > Save As which will prompt you to assign a new identifier. After choosing yes you can then save your image and load the file via memory stick.

Thanks
Jeremy

Created a new cd3 with a new identifier. Created a ci3 from this new database. Loaded it to a USB stick. Plugged it to the HMI. The project is NOT updated.

You will need to make sure that the following conditions exist in order for this to work:

1. The currently loaded database will need to have the USB transfer enabled.
2. If there is an image file on the SD/CF card, it will need to have a different identifier from what is on the USB stick.
3. The image on the USB stick will need to have a different identifier from both the image on the SD/CF card and the currently loaded database.
4. You will want the image file to be named image.ci3.

The image only copies from the USB if the identifier is different from what is on the card. The image only loads from the card if the ID is different from the current database, and is not marked to be ignored. If there is an image file on the card when you download (via 232, Ethernet, or USB) the image file is modified so that it will not get loaded over top of the downloaded file.

Regards,
Dan

You will need to make sure that the following conditions exist in order for this to work:

1. The currently loaded database will need to have the USB transfer enabled.
Checked.
2. If there is an image file on the SD/CF card, it will need to have a different identifier from what is on the USB stick.
Checked.
3. The image on the USB stick will need to have a different identifier from both the image on the SD/CF card and the currently loaded database.
Checked.
4. You will want the image file to be named image.ci3.
Checked. This is configurable in Crimson 3, though.

Items #2 and #3 are equivalent to have a file with new created identifier on the USB card (I'm assuming that a new identifier will be different than existing ones).

Well, it still does not work for me...

Last edited:
Dan, Jeremy,
Any more comments or suggestions? I devoted a good amount of time to test this feature and I followed all your instructions.
Should I need to generate a bug report online?

Thanks,
Elcan

The Red Lion folks finally found out this issue was a bug. While they add the fix to a new version of Crimson 3, they suggested this work around:
It appears that adding the following code to a background program On Startup is the best way to ensure that the image gets loaded.int f = OpenFile("image.ci3", 1);
DeleteFile(f);
CloseFile(f);

I tried it and it works.

Does anyone know if there are limitations to type/format of the USB memory stick? I have tried formatting a 2GB stick as FAT (not FAT32). Is this correct for a Graphite (G12) HMI?