Redlight!

Boy it sure is hard to please SOME of you old guys.
It is REAL hard to please ALL you old guys.

Some of you say to learn how the system is suppposed to operate.
Others say use an application familiar to you as a training ground.
Some say do a commom industrial application such as a drill press.

Well as a student I listened to all three.
I understood how a stoplight works and did the stoplight to better my understanding of timers and then used it as an introduction to sequencer.
I then took something more complicated (home clothes washer) and learned even more about sequencer.

I did the drill press also. The stepper motor was a challenge believe you me.

Now I am a smart guy and all that good stuff, but I gotta say that learning the ins n outs of Allen Bradley and PLCs is not as easy as falling off a log (yes I have done that too - a logging crew loved it).

The guy is a student or apprentice or whatever but he is in learning mode so give him a break and let him crawl before walking. He has to start off with the simple (and boring to you) stuff to learn the basics. I know I sure did. I did the crawl am sorta good at walking now ready to take on the trike level of PLCs.

Dan Bentler

leitmotif said:
I did the drill press also. The stepper motor was a challenge believe you me. Dan Bentler

I haven't seen a stepper motor on a drill press. To me, that would be an interesting challenge. Actually, I haven't seen too many stepper motors used for much of anything, except for hobbyists. A lot of drum sequencers, but that is kind or territorial, around here.

I was surprised when I was shown a drill press that had the pnuematic cylinder. The drill motor didn't start until the ram was extended past a sensor in the middle of the stroke, then on ran for "X" seconds. I think automation is great, but a normal hand operated drill press would have done the job just as well, maybe better. But, someone thought it was a good idea. And probably half a dozen people worked on it before I saw it. Now, it is on it's way to the "NEW" plant, south of the border. That's WAY SOUTH of the "Cheddar Curtain"!

regards.....casey

Back
Top Bottom