Reliance GV3000 drive comms with SLC5/04 over DH+?

I need some confirmation from you guys about something I am looking into.
I have a SLC5/04 and Reliance GV3000 drive. From what electricians have told me, the reliance ddrive communicates to the SLC5/04 over DH+. I have researched and I couldn't find a document saying the said reliance drive can do DH+. They can do Devicenet, controlnet, profibus and automax.
Also, I am not seeing any MSG instruction in the SLC5/04 program. If the drive was communicating to the PLC then there should've been a MSG instruction correct? Or is there any other piece of logic other than MSG that can be implemented to communicate in a SLC5/04? I am super new with SLCs.
Attached is the manual of GV3000 and on page 4-48 is where it lists the protocols.
https://www.ab.com/support/reliance/gv3000/pdf/D23426-Bookshelf Software.pdf

Thanks guys!

Many years ago, we had Reliance GV3000 drives with RIO adapters. Looks like DH+, but connected to a PLC5 channel configured for RIO. I suppose they may be able to attach to a 1747-SN as the RIO scanner.

EDIT: I retract that. They were on Controlnet. A RIO adapter may or may not exist for those old drives ;)

Last edited:
This is a stretch of the old brain cells, for sure.

The GV3000 had an Automax Remote I/O (not the same as A-B Universal Remote IO) and a ControlNet module. Horner Electric made the DeviceNet adapter and I installed and tested a few. I never saw the Profibus one.

I know the A-B 1395 DC drive could talk DH+, but I think that was one feature that was unique to its "Multi-Communications Board", which was basically a daughtercard from a PLC-5.

I think you're going to have to lay eyes on the drive interface itself before you can say what it really is. I have no recollection of the GV3000 on DH+.

Thanks guys,
I will try to look at the drive this week. It is hard to access it when they are in production.
From the SLC5/04 program, all the IO seems to be discrete and analog signals to the drive and I could find no MSG instruction.
There is a 1747-SN module but there is also a 1794 Flex IO to which the scanner communicates to.
Would a SLC have any other way to setup communications other than a MSG instruction, in the older ones at least?