Remote SCADA access to S7-1200 (V14 TIA)

dianemaher

Hello PLC Friends,

I'm starting my final year project with a given rig and I'm thinking about incorporating a remote access feature where I can view levels and status of motors from my laptop that's not connected to the rig directly. What is the best way of doing this? I feel this feature is relevant due to WFH ect..

Remote SCADA access to S7-1200 (V14 TIA). I can use Wonderware for my SCADA screens and maybe kepware for comms.

Thank you.
🔨

Do you mean to run the SCADA at home and connect it to the onsite PLC ?
This is doable but is usually only used for testing or ad-hoc support.
You would need a VPN connection from your home to the onsite LAN.

Or do you mean run the SCADA at the same site as the PLC, and access the SCADA from home ?
This is ubiquitous. It is really an IT task, which must be provided with whoever is responsible for IT.
If you need to figure something out by yourself, then there are numerous commercial solutions, i.e. Teamviewer, Anydesk et al.

Either way, security is important. Passwords and encryption must be enforced.

edit: Since this is a final year project, you should really put an emphasis on security.
This is growing exponentially in importance. Get good grades with security and your future is secured (no pun intended).

Last edited: