Remote Support Software

sparky66

For those of you that provide support to remote customers, what are you using to do this? Absolute need is to be able to control the customer's computer. Gotomeeting is sluggish, certain components(some popups) either don't show up or can't be controlled. QuickAssist seems to be very good performing, but then you have to walk them through how to find it(if they even have it) and convey the proper code to them. It also doesn't allow other remote people to view what is going on(essentially a meeting). TeamViewer QuickSupport seems to perform well, but I am confused on what I need, as the "master" to purchase. Chatted back and forth with them, and they kept on promising to give pricing that is good for today only, but that never came. Looking for something that is good performing and easy for the customer to use. Any suggestions?

Easy, good, cheap: pick two.

We use the ordinary desktop installation of TeamViewer, what they now call "TeamViewer Remote". It allows us to set up unattended access for computers that we control or are given permission to use, and it's easy enough for customers to install themselves, even if it isn't as easy as the installation-free QuickSupport.

We pay for licenses specifically to support some far-flung customer sites. While TeamViewer has has some stumbles in their security history, they are the vendor that our clients who allow remote access trust.

TeamViewer also has a reliable, if not super-easy-to-configure, VPN that allows routing to connect to a PLC or other automation device. PLCTalk Forum stalwart JesperMP wrote the widely-used technote that Siemens even distributes themselves.

TeamViewer even partners with IBH Softec to provide a standalone embedded remote access device.

There are other methods, certainly. I use ZeroTier and VNC Cloud for some private connectivity and management with some personal networks, and Google Remote Desktop to access my office workstation from home.

Thanks Ken. I have use the full install of TeamViewer in the past to remote in and make changes while the PC is unattended. The current use would just to be able to help a customer that may only call in once. It looks like the TeamViewer Quick Support will do what I want. I did get a quote from them.

I used to use TeamViewer, but can do basically everything with Teams now. I have also used alternatives like VPN and RDC, or VPN and VNC Server/Client.

How can you control a remote computer using Teams?

If you start a call or a meeting you can both share a screen or request control of the other person's system. If the request control button doesn't appear then check your/their content sharing or policy settings.

At my last place, we used LogMeIn for a while, until their licensing got way too expensive for what we were trying to do. We ended up using DameWare, since that's what our IT folks use. That worked well, but mainly because the PCs were on the same network (via VPN when remote). I rarely have to do it here, but use the Remote Desktop function built into Windows. Again, all PCs are on the same network or VPN'd into it.

LogMeIn would work in a truly remote environment.

Don't use Teamviewer or Anydesk as they are susceptible to MITM (Man in the middle) attacks as they are insecure(although they have improved security a bit) .

We use Clartoy to give remote access, or some of the hardware VPN boxes such as TOSI.

In addition to Teamviewer being the standard in most cases...

I do have some customers that it's just easier to use Quick Assist that comes with windows 10. They are unable to install teamviewer due to their IT department restricting downloads and new software. But Quick Assist works pretty well for getting on in a pinch and getting things done if they have software available.

In my work, I have still found Teamviewer to be the best. It is simple to use, the control interface is pretty smooth and it is accepted by most of the customers I work with. I have tried some other solutions in the past, but keep going back to TeamViewer. If you do not use it very frequently, you can get away with the "free" version. But, if you use it too often, it will be detected and you will be limited to a 1 or 2 minute connection which is almost useless. Fortunately, my company has a corporate license for it, but I am not sure what the costs are.

Team Viewer used to be the standard, but it's had a few security issues, and they have some really bad billing and customer service practices these days.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RIycueAa3aw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DmcfvDbev9U

I like Zoho Assist and Zero Tier for remote desktop needs, but for serious security, use a zero trust-based connection and avoid the dangers of VPN.

We Use Twin Gate for Zero Trust networking and use Radmin, RDP, SSH, VNC, or other LAN-based remote desktop tools. Cloudflare Tunnels is another great and free alternative to twin gate.

https://www.twingate.com/

Any of these solutions should be using multifactor authentication with hardware keys where possible.

We use multifactor with yubi key hardware tokens and beyond Identity Passwordless Login services paired with Twin Gate for zero trust network connectivity.

I'm not certain what I use is what your looking for, but we use Stridelinx VPN router installed at the end users facility. once installed and configured, you go through a web based stridelinx portal. As long as you are connected through the portal, you have complete controller over any processor/hmi configured to it. and it is secure.

Splashtop SOS for reaching the customer's computer.

********* (Papa-Lima-Charlie-Romeo-Echo-Mike-Oscar-Tango-Echo.November-Echo-Tango) to setup the pipeline between the controller through the customer's computer to my computer.

Customer only needs Java on their computer.

My computer has all the necessary software and licenses.

Yesterday, I connected to 2 AB CompactLogix controllers in Switzerland.

6 years of remote bliss and counting.

Last edited: