Retrieving tag data from AB 1769-L32E

Hi Ken,

The system is not mission critical, which is why I'm working with it. Also, I'm not seeking to write any values, just read them for display at the moment. As far as the uploading of the control program, apparently I've got to get a different version of RSLogix5000, as I'm getting a "...you must install RSLogix support for this firmware." So, *shrug.* I'm not out to harm anything, just wanting to learn.

I'll try to be more encouraging, in that case. As you've probably seen here on the Forum we get more than our share of "pls send safety monitoring circuit and program 4 chlorine generator ASAP" posts.

Here's the deal with ControlLogix firmware and RSLogix 5000: they're a 1:1 match.

RSLogix 5000 v15 is needed to program ControlLogix firmware v15.
RSLogix 5000 v16 is needed to program ControlLogix firmware v16.
RSLogix 5000 v17 is needed to program ControlLogix firmware v17.
and so on.

You can simultaneously install multiple versions from v10 onward.. I have v7, v10, v11, v12, v13, v15, v16, v17, v18, v19 all installed on one PC.

So it's not that your Edition of RSLogix 5000 doesn't support the controller, it's the Version.

RSLinx will show you unambiguously which firmware version is running in the controller; right-click in the RSWho browse on the CompactLogix CPU itself and select "Properties".

Similarly, RSLogix 5000 shows the installed compiler versions during the startup splash screen and in the Help->About section.

If I were in your shoes, I would start with Ignition: I am able to get more done faster and more professionally with Ignition than with AdvancedHMI. Neither of them are nearly as easy to use as Red Lion Crimson or FTView Studio or Wonderware, but the runtime price is right.

Deep inside AdvancedHMI, there is a function that can retreive all of the available tags from a ControlLogix and CompactLogix. Unfortunately it is not accessible via the publicly released version. However I will make a note to open access to that in a future release.

Deep inside AdvancedHMI, there is a function that can retreive all of the available tags from a ControlLogix and CompactLogix. Unfortunately it is not accessible via the publicly released version. However I will make a note to open access to that in a future release.

Awesome Archie, Thanks! Ken, I appreciate that info. I'll try to see if I can find version 15 then, as the firmware I have is 15.something or other. I'll take a look when I get a little time.