Reversing Motor Direction FTView RSLogix5000

JohnJPhillips

Hi all,

We are having a situation where airlocks are getting jammed, so we are reversing direction to the motors on them. They are having operators swap wires in a dust environment, which as you all know is not good.

I'm trying to design a push button that would reverse direction of the motor. The motor is a powerflex 40 which is connected to the program. I know how to add the button but I'm a bit stuck for how to get the motor to reverse. I imagine I could program it so that the value on a bit changes with the push button and use that to latch a rev or forward command, but I think there should be a way just using the button itself in FTView SE.

Any thoughts?

Have you read the manual? The Powerflex 40 more than likely has hardwired inputs for forward and reverse.

Is your drive hardwired or networked?

The drives are all networked. Yes I'm familiar with the 40 to an extent. The bit in the hmi would toggle a bit in the program that would send a forward or reverse command.

Update:

I've gotten the logic portion to work where I can toggle a bit in the program and reverse the motor direction.

I'm trying to direct reference the bit I used the xio/xic for the variate the command with a multistate push button. I added new tags to the controller, and even did a download, I still can't find my tags to attach to the value portion of the connections properties.

I hit refresh, running out of ideas here. Any reason my new tags from the plc program wouldn't show up in FTV studio?

This sounds like an issue I had multiple times in days past. I cannot remember the details clearly but I added new tags in the Logix processor. FTView SE Studio could not see the new tags for some reason. Refreshing the folders didn't help. Our solution after calling tech support was to reboot the data and/or HMI servers (I cannot remember if it was one, the other, or both). Hope this helps.

This sounds like an issue I had multiple times in days past. I cannot remember the details clearly but I added new tags in the Logix processor. FTView SE Studio could not see the new tags for some reason. Refreshing the folders didn't help. Our solution after calling tech support was to reboot the data and/or HMI servers (I cannot remember if it was one, the other, or both). Hope this helps.

Seems such an obvious solution, but I had never considered it. Thank you very much.

We have a very unique infrastructure in that everything is hosted on virtual machines on different servers. We have two FTV machines mirroring each other with a certain amount of seats per server. The PLC program is hosted on a different server altogether. Inventory is coming up which would give a good time for a reboot.

I've just had the same issue on a FTViewSE project that was recovered from an .apa backup, the controller path shortcut was correctly configured in the communications set-up, but it showed no "online" tags, and "Refresh All Folders" did nothing. There didn't seem to be a way of kicking the data-servers into operation.

Deleting the shortcut and putting it back exactly as it was cured the problem, obviously a new shortcut must collect the online tags.

I've just had the same issue on a FTViewSE project that was recovered from an .apa backup, the controller path shortcut was correctly configured in the communications set-up, but it showed no "online" tags, and "Refresh All Folders" did nothing. There didn't seem to be a way of kicking the data-servers into operation.

Deleting the shortcut and putting it back exactly as it was cured the problem, obviously a new shortcut must collect the online tags.

I made a new shortcut which only got one of the tags to be recognized. Not sure how that happens.

Now I can't get the button to toggle the bit. I'm using a xio to send a forward command and xic of the same bit to send a reverse command, but the multistate value isn't adjusting the value of the bit. I thought a two state push button would put a value of zero or one to whatever you link it to in connections.

Personally I don't like to have any code on the HMI (making a toggle on the HMI).

I use to have all my pushbuttons as momentary with a status overlay so that way if interlocks say I can't start a motor or change direction it wont do anything in the code/equipment.

Personally I don't like to have any code on the HMI (making a toggle on the HMI).
Agreed. If it were me, I'd have each button set a unique bit and then handle the state logic in the PLC.

Personally, we have the HMI PB set the bit to 1 and then clear the bit in the PLC. This works well to prevent inadvertant triggering when there's a loss of comms or a switch in/out of run mode, among other things.

Thanks for all the advice, it proved useful as I have most of it already programmed and operational. Maybe I wasn't too clear, I just had each button set a 0 or 1 to a bit, and all of the logic is handled in the program other than that.

You guys are awesome.