RFID to AB Control Logix

kfleming

I am pulling data, ascii format, via serial port into control logix processor from a wavetrend tag reader (RFID stuff). I am having trouble finding the tag ID numbers in the data. Anyone have any experience with this?

Check Settings

Welcome to the wonderful world of serial data. First of all, check your serial comm settings. Make sure you match up on both ends. I'm talking number of data bits, parity and baud rate. Since it sounds as though you are recieving something, I won't go to the hardware. Usually with this type of serial comm, you will do some sort of read statement in the PLC. There are probably several ways to set this up. Usually a termination character is used to flag the end of the string. Sometimes, if the string is always the same length, you can terninate on number of characters. The PLC must know where the end of string is so it can place the correct ascii info in the proper registers. If you have more information, it would be helpful.

Tech7

Thanks for the advise... I actually think I got this worked out. Had issues with hex/ascii conversions in the registers... somethings were being automatically converted and other things were not, made looking for specific bytes rather frustrating.

thanks

Interfacing RFID to Controllogix

******* makes a product called the DeviceMaster UP, available in one or four port options. The products were specifically designed to interface RFID readers, Barcode scanners, vision systems, etc... to Allen Bradley PLC's. Sample logic is included, and has been configured for a system in minutes - literally!

If you're interested in testing or evaluating free of charge, please feel free to contact me directly.

Jason Reiling
763-494-4144
jason.reiling@*******.com