RGB to a Modern Monitor

Bering C Sparky

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hello All,
Was hoping someone might have some experience with making an old system that outputs its video via RGB connect to a modern day monitor.

We have a VERY OLD trawl system on this vessel and the monitors used for this are RGB input.
(This is scheduled to be replaced but will be at least 1 more year)

Monitors are starting to fail and Captain wants to see if we can find some way to convert this signal so we can use a modern type monitor with VGA, DVI or HDMI.

I am searching the web now but thought I would throw this out on the Forum to see if anyone already had a working solution.

Thanks in advance.
BCS

Interesting question

Googling all I came up with was an expensive blackbox and a bunch of questions
mostly about what you already have (ie full specifications)
You may find that a cheap monitor (ie TV) may be better in the short term

especially in your environment

Chapter 2 tells you all about it
http://ftp.blackbox.com/manuals/A/ACU315A-R2.pdf

I would second this. I don't know what size monitor you need but using a modern TV with RGB inputs would probably be the fastest and easiest route to go.

Interesting question

Googling all I came up with was an expensive blackbox and a bunch of questions
mostly about what you already have (ie full specifications)
You may find that a cheap monitor (ie TV) may be better in the short term

especially in your environment

Chapter 2 tells you all about it
http://ftp.blackbox.com/manuals/A/ACU315A-R2.pdf

Thank you for the detailed link.
I did find this Black Box Converter Yesterday, it was the only one I found that had the same type of locking connections found on the ends of our existing RGB cables.
Only place I found a price for this was on some obscure website and they had MSRP @ $1800.00.
Most everything else I seen had RGB connections that looked more like what you would plug your old Atari into.
I did find some converters that have VGA in and you have to purchase a RGB to VGA cable adapter.

Will have to make some calls tomorrow to get more info. Was hoping that someone had already crossed this bridge at one time or another. :)

Thanks,
BCS

Black Box RGB.jpg

Uh.....I think it will take a bit more than that to convert the old 15khz signal to a modern monitor.
Would be nice if I could do it for $5 though, I appreciate the thought.

Also that type of RGB connection is what I am talking about when I say looks like the old Atari plugs. What we have lock into place with bayonet looking connectors and plugs. (not quite sure the proper name for them)

Will be able to make some calls tomorrow when work week starts for the rest of the country, everyday is Monday for me.

BCS