RIO comms issues

Buzzen

We had A/B come out and install new controller(see image of network) to communicate with old RIO rack PLC-5 era. I have issues. The outputs that control pumps are dropping off due to lack of communications I believe anyway. Is this set-up even "good enough" to communicate with new L7 contollers? Please note that I am speaking of the 1756-RIO. The 1756-DHRIO has the error due to channel B not being used.
Attached Images
attachment.php

The outputs that control pumps are dropping off

Are all of the outputs turning off at once ? Do they come back on by themselves or do you have to perform some kind of reset ?

The first test I would perform is to perform a GSV to get the EntryStatus object from the Module Object for the 1756-RIO. That will tell you if the connection from the ControlLogix across the backplanes and 1756-ENBT modules is reliable.

The next step is to check the diagnostic counters for the RIO channel on the 1756-RIO module to find out if there is noise or bad signal that's causing dropouts of the RIO network itself.

How many RIO adapters do you have in this system ?

My experience with 1756-DHRIO and 1756-RIO migrations has turned up quite a lot of bad or degraded wiring over the years. In general it seemed that the PLC-5 was better about tolerating bad signals than the 1756-DHRIO was, but once we got good signal the DHRIO and RIO scanners were fine.

There are 7 remote racks that all run on blue hose. The 1756-RIO termination has two blue hoses attached to it, one "trunk-line" runs five racks and the other runs two racks one of which is a A/B VFD (1336 plus)using a 1203 remote I/O communications module.

Okay, sounds like an ordinary-sized RIO network.

Are you running at 57.6, 115.2, or 230.4 kb/s ? Are terminating resistors connected to the physical ends of the network ?

Remember that the terminating resistors go at the physical ends of the network, not necessarily at the PLC. And you use 82 ohm when you're running at 230.4 kb/s versus 150 ohm when running at 57.6 or 115.2 kb/s.

I haven't used the 1756-RIO for several years but I know there are media diagnostic counters that will let you see if you have good signal on the RIO network.

We are running 57.6 with resistors at both ends. One thing I have done is launched the rio configuration tool>Monitor>Debug Log. And this is the error: Transmit retry rack 7
Receive Timeout rack 7
That is the rack that the pumps are shutting down on. They are not restarting anymore on their own. At one time they were. I took out the auto-restart function, hoping to catch errors. No luck. I looked at the GSV functions which I have never used. Question:would I load the .rio file under object name?