Rockwell 1756-ENBT not browsing in RSLinx

rrangaprasad

Friends,
I have a Windows NT 4.0 server (i know, we still have to use it as we have some unique ISA cards). I'm using RSLinx classic (gateway) v2.43.

In my ETH driver, i set up the ip address of the 1756-ENBT (rev 2.3). In RSWho, it shows up as the 1756-enbt/A card. However, it does NOT browse and show its backplane where the processor is present. So i'm not able to create any OPC topics as i'm not able to see the processor.

- When i type in the ipaddress in a web-browser, i can see the whole chassis including the processor
- There is another HMI machine (NT server) which uses RSLinx V 2.40 and it works fine. It can brose the same ethernet card and get to the processor.
- deleted the harmony files, restarted linx, recreated the drivers....same problem
- reinstalled RSLinx 2.43......same problem
- used ETHIP....same problem

In my driver diagnostics, it says the following:
can't set port type to 288. no harmony object for this ethernet.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Some nights this place is a museum.

Does the [+] sign appear next to the 1756-ENBT icon ? Can you browse only as far as the ENBT, or as far as the Backplane Object ?

This might just be an EDS revision issue. Download and register (using the RSLinx Hardware Installation Tool) the EDS for the 1756-ENBT version 2 module.

To find that module on the EDS server, select EtherNet/IP as the network, enter 1756-ENBT as the part number, and enter 2 for the Major Revision.

Or follow this link directly:

http://www.ab.com/networks/eds/cgi-bin/detail.pl?file=EN/0001000C003A0200.eds

Thanks for the reply Ken.

I forgot to mention that. I did reinstall the EDS file.....same problem.

I can browse only as far as ENBT. I don NOT see the backplane.
And the [+] sign used to appear beside the ENBT. If i clicked on the [+], it will think for a while and become [-]. thats it. Did not show the backplane. However after the reinstall of EDS, the [+] is gone.

Thats the thing....all roads lead to firewall issue.
However, our IT guy who made the machine tells me that all he installed was Windows NT 4.0. no firewall or anti-virus. I don't even know if there is such a thing as firewall/ or anti-virus in NT and if it is i have no idea how to access them to view their settings.

From what i understood, the ports 2222 and 44818 might be blocked. But how do i check if they are blocked or nor in NT. not familiar with NT at all

I think it's an RSLinx or Harmony server issue.

If this were a firewall problem you couldn't browse the 1756-ENBT at all; it would show up in the Ethernet Devices driver browse first with a yellow question mark and then with a red X. It wouldn't show up at all in the EtherNet/IP driver browse if this were a firewall problem.

The "Can't set port type to 288. No Harmony object for this Ethernet" message strongly suggests a software component issue.

But here you are with a revision that's probably 8 or 9 years out of date, with an OS that's also well past its support era, and hardware that you still have to use.

RA Technical Support might have more details about exactly what that error message means. I didn't find anything in the public Knowledgebase but that doesn't mean the details aren't available.

This may or may not be a similar issue.

I recently experienced a similar/same issue on XP.
The CPU disappeared from the rack in Linx and Logix (kicked offline).
The balance of the rack was completely visible and could be browsed.
In Linx, the slot where the CPU existed was completely blank.

Ultimately we determined that every com channel-instance was occupied, which was denying any additional access to the CPU.
At the same time, the Used/Free memory, and the I/O Used/Free memory status both completely maxed themselves out.

Ultimately we had to reboot the CPU rack, to free up some coms.