Rockwell cisco stratix 8000 switches

edwardeduful

Hello Friends,

please i am having a challenge with stratix 8000-1783 MS10T and Rslogix 5000.
The issue is All the network switches(stratix) have got password and i do not have the password to online to see the running configuration.
So i took another switch with the same firmware version(4.002),programmed it by opening the ports as well as the fiber optic ports, and also gave it the same IP address as in Rslogix 5000 I/O config from the PLC.I replaced the old switch with my new switch and there was no communication, i removed the IP address and still no communication.i went online to the PLC with old switch, right clicked the properties, checked on module information and its revision 4.002.
when i click on the general tab i see 4.001.as the version.
Please your advice is needed, Do i have to do more configuration on the switch or Rslogix 5000.
Please your help will be appreciated.

I am confused. Since you couldn't see the switch configuration you replaced them with another switch with default configuration? Doesn't it defeat the purpose?

If you want com back asap, then just put the old switch back. If you want to do more troubleshooting, open up the webpage for the new switch and see what's going on.

I have to ask, have you tried the default password: "switch" ?

There is a lot of configuration changes that could have been made from the factory settings. Without knowing more about the individual components on your network it would be essentially impossible to speculate what the actual settings are.

You don't say why you're trying to change the Stratix 8000, but I would assume that any changes to configuration would only be required on the Stratix switch, because, again I'm assuming, that the controller is working properly.

The issue is, the system integrators left without giving the password for the switches, and I am trying to put in a new switch for testing purposes, in-case i lose any of the switches.

Hello Sir,

i agree with you , the system integrators are refusing to give me the password and i have just joined this company.
So i tried programming one switch by just opening the ports(no-shutdown) and gave it an IP address, expecting that it will work, but it did not

Also check depending on the switch firmware the CLI password can be different from the Web interface password. On some switches it's the same on some there is a box thatmust be checked to make it the same and older firmware it has to be different.

I don't have that infomation handy at the moment but something you may want to check because if you can access it via CLI you can FTP the config off the switch.

Depending on how and what the swicth is connected to and what it may be doing it may be easier to factory reset and setup the switch again with a password you know.

You can crack these passwords also but we can discuss that here. A google search will give you the answers you need if you wish to go that route.

Hello Sir,

All the stratix 8000 1783 MS10T switches are communicating via ethernet TCP/IP protocol on the network to a control-logix 5572 processor.
Fiber optic is connecting all the switches on the main network on the fiber ports and , TCP/IP instruments are connected to the switch ports via CAT5 cable RJ45 plugs on the network.
So i thought by openning all the ports(no-shutdown) and giving it the same IP address as the old switch, it will work, but it did not

The issue is, the system integrators left without giving the password for the switches, and I am trying to put in a new switch for testing purposes, in-case i lose any of the switches.

That is a simple fix. have your company tell them to provide the passwords and if they don't then fire them and they will no longer do work for your company.

In the U.S. you could sue them for this but you may not have that as an option. You could fire them from doing any future work with you unless they provide the passwords.

Pointless post to make a point...

Forgive me, but I'm starting to wonder if they were right in not giving you the passwords?

If you can manage to pull the configuration off the switches and restore them to the spare switch then maybe ok. But failing that, their configuration can be quite complex, depending on if or how the network is segregated. There could be VLANs that require setting up, persistence per port, snooping and many other major to minor settings. You do not sound like you are qualified enough to be trying to configure them, from what I've read so far. So for that reason, I'm out.

But I do wish you good luck with it all.

Regards,
George

Hello Sir,

I want to try and crack the password for the stratix switch without losing the configuration, i saw a procedure on the internet for some cisco switches, where you must put in [switch#:flash_init].
But this method does not work for the stratix switch, it always show switch>, if i enable, then it requests for password, i s there another that i can bypass it without losing the configuration