Rockwell CLX L16/18 to Micro 850?

einnh

Lifetime Supporting Member
I am considering switching some of our future machine builds from the CLX L16 to Micro 850. It's about half the price with our current pricing with Rockwell.

I have looked into processing ability, memory, IO options, com options, etc. and they all seem to pan out. My only remaining question is programming in teh Studio 5000 environment vs CCW environment. Does anyone have experience developing logic in CCW? How does it compare? Are there still produced and consumed tags functionality?

If you do a search on CCW, you will find a lot of hits regarding this software package.
And you'll find that most of the people don't like it.
CCW and Studio 5000 are complete different.
I've no idea about how many machines you are talking, but if you build a lot of the same machines it can be worth of moving to Micro 850. If you build a lot of machines which are every time a little or more different, please stay with CLX.

Debugging in CCW is horrible!

Please do a search in this forum before switching over, this is my best advice!

Must it absolutely be an Allen Bradley PLC ?
I am thinking that since Micro800 has absolutely nothing in common with CompactLogix, then you could just as well consider other brands that may even have better price and better functionality.

Like Nightline said unless you are "stamping out" one machine after another that are carbon copies of each other I would stay with the L16!!

As far as I know there is no Produced/Consumed tags in the Micro line. I am sure you can do something similar with message instructions but it will be a PITA as everything with CCW seems to be.

As Jasper said you may want to look at other brands of PLC that you can get cheaper with better functionality and programming environment.