Rockwell ControlFlash failures

I mostly only deal with L6X processors so maybe Studio5000 can't do this, but in RSLogix 5000 I can click Communications / Who Active / and from the tree when I navigate to the PLC it will allow me to Update Firmware. Can you use this method?

I mostly only deal with L6X processors so maybe Studio5000 can't do this, but in RSLogix 5000 I can click Communications / Who Active / and from the tree when I navigate to the PLC it will allow me to Update Firmware. Can you use this method?

That launches the OG ControlFlash, which has a different problem. I cannot update the library to use the 1756-L71 V33.013 firmware. I can import it, it says it is successful, but when I run the flash, it does not show up as an option when selecting the FW to flash. The whole thing reeks of Windows update taint. I'm not rolling anything back, in my experience that causes more problems than it solves. So I'm creating a new VM and loading all the rockwell software on it and see what happens.

Flashing works in newly created Win10 VM. There has to be something that killed it. I did a full windows update cycle before I installed anything, so the OS is the same, other than absolutely clean install with Rockwell Software only. Any lesson in why we use VM's I guess, I've just never had any problems with Rockwell like this.