Rockwell Software on Hyper-V?

asteroide

Hello friends

The IT department is pushing me to use Hyper-V on Windows 10.

Have you use it?

Is it a good option?

Thanks in advance.

I'm guessing it will work, but Rockwell uses VMWare. In fact, from what I can tell, VMWare is more or less the industry standard. Next, in a very distant second, seems like it is VirtualBox.

Now, "everyone uses it" isn't in and of itself a good argument. However, the fact that everyone uses it will give you a certain confidence that it will work. If something doesn't, you will be more likely to find a solution. Industrial automation software is buggy, so add as many unknowns as possible, use VMWare.

I'm confidant with VirtualBox as that is what we use. Just about every issue goes through me. Just about every issue that can be attributed to VirtualBox would be USB or networking related. USB in VBox is goofy, networking issues just understanding bridged and NAT options.

Linux KVM is probably running more guests than any other virtualization platform, bar none, since that is what all the big VPS providers use.

It's what I use to run my Rockwell Software, too. The kicker is you need to use Linux as your bare metal OS. The primary reward is ultimate network flexibility...

I use VMware, works great for RA.

Now newer versions of TIA Portal?

Slow, RA makes a less resource intensive product than Siemens!

32gb ram recommended? What are you doing SIemens?

I used Hyper-V for a while a couple years ago when researching alternatives to VMware. Everything ran fine for me. We used the usual RA software: Studio/RSLogix 5000, FT View all without issue.

But it is really suited more toward server class applications than the desktop. That's what I needed it for, a desktop environment. At the time Hyper-V VMs couldn't make use of USB devices which was a deal breaker for me. I needed to connect to PLC equipment using USB adapters and Hyper-V didn't allow it. Maybe they do now though.

We ended up sticking with VMware.

OG

I tried Hyper-V when I first got it and found it buggy and useless.

Then Microsloft sent an announcement of Hyper-V Technical Preview available for download and hoping that ran better I installed it, rebooted and quickly got a DOS based server - seems the email forgot to include Hyper-V SERVER. Was online with MS support 3 hours to get my Windows license back.

I now use VM Ware exclusively and disable Hyper-V on every Windoze computer I have and get for a machine build.

I use Hyper-V for rockwell software, actually I was able to convert rockwell's pre-made software VMs to Hyper-V VHDs, and they worked good.

Hyper-V might have other issues, but considering that it's an active windows product targeted towards industrial consumers, I'm excited to see what's coming up in the future.

we use vmware exclusively at the plant i work at and my last plant.
i use vmware at home and run winnt, xp, win7, and win 10 vm's
i also have vm's for rockwell and beckhoff software to prevent issues.
james

I was recently able to use KVM to pass a USB serial port into a DOS 6 guest as a "real" COM2, since that version of DOS doesn't have USB support. Had to tweak the libvirt guest XML definition by hand, as virt-manager didn't expose a UI for that trick:

Screenshot_20210904_102641.png

All the virtualization platforms will pass through a USB device as a USB device. I haven't seen this combination anywhere else.

(But I haven't used VMware or VirtualBox in a long time, and never used HyperV.)