Rockwell Software Pricing

The secret world of software pricing.

My question is, why does Studio 5000, Factory Talk view SE and Factory Talk view 100 Display increase by 500 dollars each every time I purchase it from my local distributor?. I purchase probably 10-20 of these set (3 shown above) together each year and every time the price increases. The increase is usually in the hundreds. I usually purchase several per month and the price always increases. The local distributor never has an answer for any questions you ask about price increase. Also, why am I being charged for a 166 day service contract that's in the $$ thousands when I already have a tech connect?

Studio 5000: $4728.75

Factory Talk view 100 Display: $2877.50

Factory Talk view SE: $3953

When I think about the amount of hours that goes into a simple thing like renewing my tech connect agreement every year, the operational cost at RA most be sky high :)

The secret world of software pricing.

My question is, why does Studio 5000, Factory Talk view SE and Factory Talk view 100 Display increase by 500 dollars each every time I purchase it from my local distributor?. I purchase probably 10-20 of these set (3 shown above) together each year and every time the price increases. The increase is usually in the hundreds. I usually purchase several per month and the price always increases. The local distributor never has an answer for any questions you ask about price increase. Also, why am I being charged for a 166 day service contract that's in the $$ thousands when I already have a tech connect?

Studio 5000: $4728.75

Factory Talk view 100 Display: $2877.50

Factory Talk view SE: $3953

This is the perfect example of why I have migrated away from Rockwell.

Here's the perfect example(I'm in the Oil and Gas industry) I have several remote locations that have an HMI 4.3" with just 2 button and 2 Numeric Variables displayed - now this unit gets replaced every 18 months because of the H2S Gas.

So why would I use a Panelview at a cost of over $400.00 when I can but a cheap "knock-off" for $100.00 and do the same thing. It's all going to have to be replaced in 18 months!!!!

This is not what you are going to want to hear but Damica1 is right in my experience. Personally, I am a big fan of ignition. A hope industrial touchscreen and a computer cost $1800 bucks and you can have unlimited vision licenses after you purchase 9 (HMI Licenses) The vision licenses are 500 each. I think the last time I got the Ignition 8 main system quoted it was like 5k or something like that. So its the amount of vision licenses you want plus that main 5k. We may have had a discount though. The online community forum is great and a lot of times the programmers behind Ignition are the ones replying to you. It seems as though you are locked into rockwell by company standard though so this may not be an option.

If it makes you feel any better we pay a similar price for the FTview ME, and we buy a lot of rockwell.

I went back and looked, and from spring of 2019 to fall of 2020 FTview ME station went up 26 dollars for us, basically 1%.

I dont have anything pre 2019, that was when it was moved to me instead of purchasing trying to spec the software.

I'm not advocating the cost one way or the other. Just relaying what I have actual distributor quotes on.

Over the last 10 years or so Rockwell have used strong arm tactics to screw as much out of it's customers as possible in the UK it started by limiting their supply base i.e. RS for the small processors, then Tech Connect or they will not allow you to access certain information, in the UK they even purchased one of the main repair companies (who by the way would at one time repair any PLC at a reasonable cost) last time I got a quote for a repair on a panelview the cost was more than I could buy a new one with our discount from our local supplier. Our company purchased a lot of software circa 55k comprising of RSV32, ADS, Power32 etc. and when we had a query they asked for a tech connect contract or it would probably take 5 days for a reply, I sorted it on my own and from that time I had a meeting with the high level management and we agreed to not use Rockwell again and went to Mitsubishi who were willing to support us, in actual fact they gave us some of the software FOC including free upgrades, from that point on, any upgrades or new installs were based on Mitsubishi. I have no idea what it's like in the States where RW is king (nothing like supporting local MFG) but here in the UK many companies are switching to other platforms (I have many contacts from my time working for an OEM) so RW must be loosing a lot of business here, bearing in mind AB (RW) was one of the main systems even here in the UK.

Rockwell has a near Monopoly in the US. So they charge whatever they want. Why do they have a near Monopoly? Because Plant Support types keep spec'ing them out to machine builders. Why does rockwell suck? because they have a monopoly and don't need to improve to compete. o_O

Rockwell is a old person that needs to be left to die in piece but the idiots keep feeding it and pumping it full of drugs. Let it go, it has add it's time.

Any yes our yearly subscription increases by multiple hundreds of dollars every year too. It also takes about 1.5 weeks after purchase before I can get the new licenses activated. :mad: