Rockwell upload automatically updating saved programs

We've been playing the software tracking game here for a while.... I've been arguing about putting in a network based software tracking system for a while now.... Keep running into lack of funding stonewall....
I've managed to cut down on 95% of the issues here at the plant these days, which is WAY better than when I started here..

1. The other mechanics all use the same laptop... which I back up the harddrive periodically. Where we run into issues is where the other shifts have made a change, and I haven't copied their change onto my computer yet, or we had contractors making adjustments somewhere, and they haven't delivered a fresh copy of the code yet...
2. The maintenance laptop is kept in a locked cabinet in the parts room, with a clipboard and a checkout sheet attached. This way (hopefully) when someone does something with the laptop, I have the heads up from the checkout sheet to synchronize my computer with their laptop.
3. I created a "program change form" and try to make sure everyone uses it(including me). This details the machine changed, the date/time, a summary of the code that was changed, and requires the shift leads signature before making changes. That way we have a check on the "fix a broken part with the program" scenario.
4. I've finally reached the point where the mechanics (generally) ASK ME before trying to change program items on their own...

I (had been) trying to use the date/time stamp to tell which copy of the program is the most current, to maintain all of the documentation that is added... But as we've seen in this thread, that is not horribly accurate all of the time....
Most of the time when doing an upload like this, I already know someone changed the program... I just haven't updated my copy yet for the documentation, and am trying to check something out real fast for the floor mechanics who have a machine down.